What’s your financial situation

The key difference I see now is the starting point. I bought a house at 24 without any family assistance, (mind you I got married at 24 as well). A lot of my friends and work colleagues did similar.

But I can’t see many 24-26 year olds buying houses nowadays and the 10 year wait is a pressing social and political problem

4 Likes

One person’s ‘well off’ is another person’s failure at life. People think I’m mad doing the commute I do, but then I think they’re crazy forking out thousands of euro every year for an education that our lads get for free.

If I popped my clogs in the morning Mrs Mac and the lads would be set up for life with cleared mortgages and a fairly hefty lump sum / life insurance payout from the place I work. 6 years ago I wouldn’t have even thought of that as being important. It’s amazing how kids change your perspective on everything.

My priority would always have been ensuring there’s enough put away financially to ensure college is set up for them. Her priority would be enjoying life in the moment and making memories for them as you never know what’s around the corner. Plenty of arguments over the balance but we get on with it.

17 Likes

What’s your commute? Is remote working not an option?

Gorey to Docklands area. I do at least a day a week from home at the moment and probably a week either every month or 6 weeks from the US where I’m always home on Fridays. I’d prefer not to be doing it but will be there nearly 8 years later this year and as the lads said earlier, I’d nearly engineer a way to be paid off out of there than leave voluntarily

4 Likes

Same here had the eldest at 23 and we bought the house a year later. We had no savings or anything but easily got a mortgage to buy a 4 bed semi d a new build for £78000. Was possible back in 1998, impossible now.

1 Like

inflation was mad in the 90s. Bought at 52k and sold 4 years later for 75k.

I get the feeling however rough U35s have it now, it pales into comparison with Ireland of the 70 and 80s, maybe some of the elderly crew could adjudicate.

3 Likes

That’s the problem with the whole “kids have it worse now than ever” rhetoric.

Oh yeah, worse than the famine.

4 Likes

Whats the commute?

Work with a fella in Cork that comes to the city from New Ross. He probably does 6 days a month from home which softens the blow

1 Like

Some going

He leaves home at 5.30 and is in cork shortly after 7…no traffic. Might stay down a night a week as well. Tough going but kids are a bit older and he is well paid for it

1 Like

I know lads who are sitting on there ass but somehow manage to go the boozer at least 3 nights a week. Same old retric bookies pub bookies pub.
Same lads that are in there 30s live at home in mammys with not a care in the world

Worked for eir 15 years took the lump as the place was going to the dogs could of held on for another few years but wasnt happy got a ok offer but there is dinosaurs sitting in offices with little or no work to do everyday but getting paid.
These people have pre 1985 contracts which mean they are still civil servants although the company is privatised.

1 Like

Did it in London couldn’t again though fair dues to him and all who have to do it

They’ll live longer

Would rather work away provide for my kids than sit in a pub with aul boys doing the same mundane things day in day out.
They may live longer but I would die younger and happier knowing I did the right thing.
Last time me and the misses were out in a pub at night time was 3 years ago both of us dont bother.
If we do have a drink be a couple of beers at home

1 Like

Lovely, the thing that I’m proudest of abut my dad is that he gave up the drink the day he was laid off from Fords and never drank again, things were very tough for a few years around under then but he grafted away by himself doing foxers on cars in the back of the house.
My brother was the first of either sides grandchildren to go to college, despite there being plenty of older cousins, my grandmother couldn’t get over it, thought my mother was crazy not to have him out working and ‘handing up’
Your parents are the difference makers when you don’t come from money

13 Likes

Best wishes to Matteo and Ciro .

3 Likes

I come from money so find it fascinating some of the hardships you guys went through or in @Mac’s case are going through

19 Likes

All ye lads were very sensible.

2 Likes

This place is crawling with Fine Gaelers

13 Likes