Whats the best Irish radio station to listen to?

I was listening to RTE Radio 1 there earlier this evening, unfortunately to Marian Finucane (fucking hell, she’s still alive? That was a shock. Next you’ll be telling me Pat Kenny and Gerry Ryan are still on air).

Now RTE is basically shite, so my question is this.

Not having lived in the country for some time and being relatively unfamiliar with the broadcasting landscape in the country - what is the best Irish radio station for me to listen to online?

I’m basically looking for something with news and analysis, interviews, doco’s etc, along the lines of the BBC World Service which I listen to a lot.

Where’s Dunphy these days? Is he actually still alive?

Who’s worth listening to?

1 Like

I listen to Limericks live 95 fm,now give me my fucking cash.

Are ye all bitter in Limerick?

I’d listen almost exclusively to Newstalk and Red FM, streets ahead of their respective oppositions. Newstalk don’t seem to have the same restrictions as RTE in the debate of anything really.

Today FM for Alison Curtis the odd time.

The Last Word presented by Matt Cooper is current affairs programme which airs between 4.30 and 7 Monday to Friday on Today FM and it is excellent. Morning Ireland on RTE Radio One is informative too if you like current affairs at that time in the morning.
If right wing radio is your cup of tea then 6.30-9 Monday to Friday on Newstalk Ivan Yates and Claire Byrne present news.

If interested in World Affairs and British politics I like Radio 4’s programmes at 22.00 and Parliament at 23.30.

Matt Cooper’s show seems to be far better than anything else. If you’re online I’d give the Irish stations a miss altogether with that exception. Oh and Ray Foley and J.P, they’re hilarious.

Colm and Jim Jim, they are comical wonders.

Inside Politics on Radio Ulster is probably worth a lesson too. On every Sunday at 13.05

Would agree with that. Cooper is the best interviewer around. Have never managed to get into listenning to Newstalk, usually because I’m on the road early and the sound of Claire Byrne and Yates is enough to switch station. There is nothing remotely like the BBC world service available here.

As for Ra Foley and JP…:guns::guns:

We have nothing that is comparable to BBC World Service, but to be fair I don’t think there is anything comparable in the English speaking world.

The only radio I really listen to are Morning Ireland before work and Matt Cooper on the way home. Both are very good, though ine Lawlor’s interviewing style on Morning Ireland irritates me at times. I would also sometimes listen to Sam Smyth’s Sunday Supplement on Today FM. You would usually get a decent discussion of the week’s major events on that.

I’d listen to Phantom mainly, although it’s a Dublin only station. Plays some good music if you’re into indie and the like. If it’s light hearted talk radio you’re after then Sean Moncreif on Newstalk (weekdays 2-4.30) is a good laugh and Tom Dunne is alright on the same station in the mornings from 9. I find all the current affairs programmes on Irish radio to be cuntfests full of people complaining about everything and anything (either on the radio or texting in).

Phantom is a good station alright, listened to it a few times. it goes out to most of Leinster though does it? I’ve picked it up all over the shop anyway.

You can listen online as well, listening right now.

I’m sorry to say that radio has turned into the media outlet of idiots.

It is low IQ low brow broadcasting.

I am constantly frustrated by people saying “well they said it on the radio”

or even fucking worse “well this lad who texted into a radio station said” aaarrrggghhhhh:mad::mad::mad:

Don’t give a fuck what some cunt sittin on the jacks, sad enough to text into a radio station thinks

[quote=“McGeady1916”]I’m sorry to say that radio has turned into the media outlet of idiots.

It is low IQ low brow broadcasting.

I am constantly frustrated by people saying “well they said it on the radio”

or even fucking worse “well this lad who texted into a radio station said” aaarrrggghhhhh:mad::mad::mad:

Don’t give a fuck what some cunt sittin on the jacks, sad enough to text into a radio station thinks[/quote]

Not all like that, but certainly there is some truth in what you say. Ray D’Arcy show is just full of that idiot reading out retarded texts. And he can’t read either.

Maybe is was because I was younger, but I remember Ray D’Arcy’s show being quite good. One of the first shows I listened to on Today Fm. It is now an abomination, no less than a black mark against the nation. I can’t sit through 60 seconds of it.

Ya, it was better. I’d say economics have dictated that they read out as many retarded texts as possible. The more people who get shit read out the more people will text in, or some thing like that. Texts mean easy money for these people.

Yeah I suppose that’s a lot of it. I think it’s also a stark reminder of what can happen to a man who spends his life working with women.

RTE Radio One is excellent I think - apart from Tubridy from 9-10. Morning Ireland is excellent, Kenny is an excellent radio broadcaster. News at One and Drivetime are decent as well.

Cooper’s show on Today FM is excellent - probably the best broadcaster on radio in Ireland. Despite initial hatred for the show, Off The Ball on Newstalk in the evenings is a very informative sports show if you can get by the smarmy presenters.

Sam Smyth’s show on Sunday mornings on Today FM is quite good. I would always listen to Dunphy on current affairs but he’s not on radio anymore.

Nothing can touch Matt Cooper for current affairs, nothing can touch Off The Ball on Newstalk for Sport.
I’ve said it a few times but Pat Kenny really is excellent on the radio. I’d always have a listen to Ronan Collins too.
Today FM is full of people I don’t like-Dempsey, Paul Collins, Ray and JP, Fenton, Phil Cawley.

Anyone listen to Beat FM in the South East-have never really gave it a listen at all since it started.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]RTE Radio One is excellent I think - apart from Tubridy from 9-10. Morning Ireland is excellent, Kenny is an excellent radio broadcaster. News at One and Drivetime are decent as well.

Cooper’s show on Today FM is excellent - probably the best broadcaster on radio in Ireland. Despite initial hatred for the show, Off The Ball on Newstalk in the evenings is a very informative sports show if you can get by the smarmy presenters.

Sam Smyth’s show on Sunday mornings on Today FM is quite good. I would always listen to Dunphy on current affairs but he’s not on radio anymore.[/quote]

Farmer knows the score:clap:, even though i find cooper a bit whiney at times