Whats the best Irish radio station to listen to?

John Creedon is very good as well actually, different kind of music show. Diarmuid Ferriter tends to make a good job of anything he’s involved in as well, the ‘What if?’ series was brilliant.

I usually listen to Today FM or Radio One, the local Dublin stations are beyond dreadful. Pat Kenny on R1 has the best current affairs programme in the country imo, closely followed by Sean O’Rourke on the News at One, Drivetime with Mary Wilson can be very informative but Cooper is definately the better interviewer.

With the exception of Tom Dunne’s innane banter Newstalk is a dreadful pile of shite, any good debate is only interrupted by ad breaks or news headline breaks. Also the fact that they’ve no live progamming between 10pm and 6.30am is a fooking joke.

If you’re winding down for the evening you can’t beat a bit of John Creedon on R1 or Alison Curtis on Today FM for some good music, and Rachael English for some easygoing late night debate on R1.

In short Fitzy there is some talent on Irish radiowaves, you’ll have to channel surf for it though.

Farming update on Sunday mornings on Shannonside FM is another great listen. The presenter has the maddest voice I have ever heard and last I heard was that there were rumours that the show was being piped into Guantanamo Bay to ‘break’ the detainees.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]RTE Radio One is excellent I think - apart from Tubridy from 9-10. Morning Ireland is excellent, Kenny is an excellent radio broadcaster. News at One and Drivetime are decent as well.

Cooper’s show on Today FM is excellent - probably the best broadcaster on radio in Ireland. Despite initial hatred for the show, Off The Ball on Newstalk in the evenings is a very informative sports show if you can get by the smarmy presenters.

Sam Smyth’s show on Sunday mornings on Today FM is quite good. I would always listen to Dunphy on current affairs but he’s not on radio anymore.[/quote]

Do you listen to any music programmes on the radio farmer? I find Phantom pretty uninspiring to be honest. Listen to Paul Mcloone the odd time myself and found his show to be good. Would like a good music programme to listen to regularly.

Not really Larry but my brother listens to Nova on Lyric FM every Sunday evening with Bernard Clarke and swears by it.

:clap:Phantom is only good on a Saturday evening when they play classic anthems without a DJ. Says a lot about the station to be honest.

Listen to McLoone myself sometimes. Also The Lighthouse with Dave Couse on Today FM has some good tunes but yer man is a bit of a looper, laughs at everything he says.

Absolutely, he’s a pussy of the highest order.

McLoone’s show is definitely the best music show on Irish radio. The only problem is that it clashes directly with Off the Ball. Alison Curtis after McLoone is not bad either.

Yeah timing of both McLoone and Curits’ shows are things that stop me from listening to them more often. Curtis is on too late for me while McLoone clashes with other stuff I’d be watching. Might listen to him more in 2010 though.

Would it be fair to say that Irish radio has a massive listnership?

A huge percentage of people seem to listen to quite a lot of it especially in relation to home produced television or newspapers.

Wouldn’t really have a massive problem with Off the Ball presenters myself farmer, McDevitt is very good I think far better than Gilroy who I do think is a smug cunt. Yer man Murphy is a funny enough lad if a little too sneery while Ken Earley is actually an acquired taste and can be fairly funny too.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Nothing can touch Matt Cooper for current affairs, nothing can touch Off The Ball on Newstalk for Sport.
I’ve said it a few times but Pat Kenny really is excellent on the radio. I’d always have a listen to Ronan Collins too.
Today FM is full of people I don’t like-Dempsey, Paul Collins, Ray and JP, Fenton, Phil Cawley.

Anyone listen to Beat FM in the South East-have never really gave it a listen at all since it started.[/quote]

would listen to beat now and again when around home… usually just if driving in evening for music and they do top 40 on a sunday evening…
but they also try some stupid competitions like there was the beat fugitive, the beat wedding and the most recent was where i think they like gave 2 brides 50 quid each and whoever got further away from waterford in 24 hours won a wedding reception and you couldnt get help from family or friends

For a bit of music and something different I listen to i10 whatever occasionally. Makes a change from the shite on 2fm/Today FM.
Still some of that rubbish inane banter, but occasionally something quite funny pops up. They also seem to play a different type of “pop” music, usually first with whatever is going to make it into the charts and then they take it off the rotation before it becomes too annoying.

Newstalk annoys me a lot, its quickly turning into the TV3 news of radio, Radio 1 overall best for current affairs, quite like Darragh Moloney on drivetime, the lads on OTB are wearing a bit thin on me of late. Excellent reporting and coverage of sport but that initial 30 min of banter is getting to annoy the shit out of me

Says a lot about how people view radio as a medium given that most people are posting about talk/current affairs programmes. Freddy Mercury wouldn’t be impressed at how his only friend through teenage nights has changed.

Compared to television it’s done quite well.

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]
Newstalk annoys me a lot, its quickly turning into the TV3 news of radio, Radio 1 overall best for current affairs, quite like Darragh Moloney on drivetime, the lads on OTB are wearing a bit thin on me of late. Excellent reporting and coverage of sport but that initial 30 min of banter is getting to annoy the shit out of me[/quote]
Off the Ball is still miles ahead of RTE Radio sport because they do items that RTE wouldn’t do in a million years. I think the fact you don’t mind the banter just means you’re getting old. RTE are too middle of the road and a lot of their radio
sport operation smacks of a “jobs for the boys” culture. Surely they can do better than the likes of Des Cahill and Brian Carthy.

After Midnight on Today FM is a very underrated show…i would fall asleep with it on in the background most nights

Before Mammy comes in to kiss you on the forehead, tuck you in and and turn off the light? :wink:

yeah, good one:rolleyes:

Thanks lad :thumbsup: Should have left out the wink in hindsight was too lickarsey…