Whats the best Irish radio station to listen to?

Certainly appears odd but I suppose he has another few years to feather the nest, put in the electronic gates, update the island and buy a giant EV. He’s certainly familiar with the location of the money tree.

1 Like

Took the package and back on a nice lucrative contract I assume.

1 Like

Well they don’t fire anyone

I accidentally flicked car radio to medium wave there yesterday.
Tried some of the numbers that meant something back in the day - 567, 693, 909, 1440 but little or nothing to be heard. Vague fuzzy reception on 909, BBC Radio 5 Live.
40 years ago getting live soccer commentaries on BBC Radio 2 as it was back then was a big thing for many before the arrival of satellite and cable TV and the glut of stuff we can all consume 24/7 now.
And music on Radio Luxembourg was also a huge thing. RTE had relatively little “pop music” back then before RTE Radio 2 came along so 208 was where you heard the very latest music.
Different times for sure.

2 Likes

I remember listening to George Hamilton doing commentaries on the BBC. For a better signal you’d have to point the radio in the direction of the Galtees.

1 Like

Remember it well, would only be picking up white noise around kick off but would be crystal clear by start of the second half.
Commentary team of Mike Ingham and Alan Greene with the great Jimmy Armfield on co-comms. Also remember names like Ron Jones, Rob Hawthorne, Pat Murphy, Eleanor Oldroyd, and Roddy Forsyth.

Always better on a frosty night

3 Likes

Definitely, I presume the lads on the East Coast wouldn’t have had less problems with the reception that us in the west.

8Radio Ireland is a good listen, run by Simon Maher who was involved with Phantom

This fucking rubby match is being broadcast on both my radio stations, I feel like it’s a violation of my rights :man_shrugging:

Although I don’t particularly like her voice (it’s a bit too sugary sweet for me) I think Louise Duffy is doing a good job in the noon slot on Rte radio 1. She has brought the music more up to date and has a good mix.

5 Likes

I’d a drive to do. Turned over a little early only to hear Clare Byrne talking about how to tumble dry clothes… on oneof the hottest days of the year…fuck that. It was nearly quarter past when i remembered again and turned it on. Great show.

A home economist she had on. One of the ubiquitous Bouchier Hayes family. Explaining how to do laundry. Must be murder trying to fill two hours of current affairs every day.

1 Like

How much are we paying her again?How to use a tumble dryer,what’s in store tomorrow.How to turn on the TV?

Better than the dulcet tones of her husband anyway

Newstalk are really missing a trick by have this lunchtime show with Andrea Gilligan. It’s my radio station of choice but any time I’m in the car in the afternoon I’ve to change the channel quickly enough when she’s on. The odd time I’d give her a few minutes to see if it was ok or not.

Yesterday for example “I’ve got Benny on the line here, he says teachers should be required to sit honours level papers for the leaving cert and get an A1 in order to continue teaching the subject going forward”. “So Benny do you expect them to sit WITH their students while taking it?” This kind of shite.

Then the time before that “Have Irish people an obsession with fake tan” and I kept switching back to see had the topic changed but it went on at least 20mins with all these apes phoning in. We deserve better from newstalk in the afternooon.

4 Likes

She’s the definition of harmless.

2 Likes

What do you expect listening to Newstalk…

1 Like

Louise Duffy is the truth. If it wasn’t for the damn Europeans and their +1 hour difference I’d be listening to her everyday.