Whatsapp as gaeilge, ‘Big Gaeilge’

Who runs Benchwarmers anyway?

1 Like

Neville is the lad in the middle

1 Like

Agreed we can be called a cunt for posting on a strange corner of the Internet. Honestly who gives a shit what is said here, we are only a shower of sad fuckers with opinions and an empty space to shout it into. There are far more eyes on whag they post and trive off click bait while most likey causing suffering to that man for it.

1 Like

Some cark fella.in dubai i think

Even at that it wasn’t even posted here because everyone knows that would be wrong

Exactly, did we comment on it yes, was everyone mature enough not to post it on a public forum also yes. I say hes going through a fairly tough time now amd i feel for him

1 Like

How do you spell the Irish surname Denephe. Deneffe?

Not a name you’d come across much and google is giving me nothing.

Denieffe. There is a kilkenny referee in Dublin who uses that spelling. I think the name have Kilkenny origins. @Malarkey might know?

1 Like

I know a Denieffe family in Kilkenny. I think the Dad was a guard they are nearly all teachers. One of them is involved with the GAA county board

1 Like

Nice question, Binky.

I associate Denieffe with Kilkenny same way I associate Codd or Parle with Wexford.

I see in both the 1901 Census and the 1911 Census all the Denieffes in Ireland were in Kilkenny.

1 Like

Conor.

Furlong another good Wexford one

That BarryGriffin website is a brilliant resource: Irish Surname Maps

4 Likes

Rackard.

There were Parles in Waterford city when I was growing up. Mickey Parle was my age and lived on Ursula’s Terrace

1 Like

David Denieffe from up your way is VP of Setu (or was). Sound fella.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2024/0711/1390567-slang-words-gaeilge-raimeis-cabog-mo-leir-slog-poncanach-damanta/

Ráiméis is a firm favorite of my mother and ‘slog siar é’ is the most commonly heard phrase when the taxi lands to take the group to the next pub. A nice one that comes to mind is ‘clouster’, (phonetic, not sure of the spelling) which means harmless idiot.

2 Likes

From memory there was a short story on the Leaving syllabus where somebody was referred to as an Poncán meaning the Yank.

2 Likes

Poncanhontas.

1 Like

Done hack doing the rounds on WhatsApp I believe, stay safe folks

1 Like