Whatsapp as gaeilge, ‘Big Gaeilge’

Sure why would they bother becoming a teacher when there’s cushy EU jobs that pay similar. I’d much rather translate documents that nobody will end up reading than having the pressure of a classroom and parents yelling at me.

so one of the official languages of the State should be mandatory and one should be optional, regardless of which language the citizen speaks as a first language.

I’d have every subject optional, as it happens

Translation is a shit, boring as fuck job mate. You only get one life.

1 Like

I’d say even on here you could have a fairly good guess at lads who did well at higher level English in the leaving cert and lads that did not

5 Likes

Why make the everyday language optional?

I don’t think I said I don’t like Irish. I don’t mind it to be honest and sure if lads have a bit of fun with each other speaking it sure what harm. I just don’t believe it should be a mandatory subject through 14 years of school for everyone. That might (it wasn’t) have been ok in the 40s and 50s but there’s no excuse for it in this day and age.

1 Like

I’d make every subject optional, so a student can tailor their education to their needs, not be forced what to learn.

Cc @Fagan_ODowd

Yes. Your point?

Not wanting people to speak more Irish is the same as not liking it. Or at least too close to split gruaig.

1 Like

I would respectfully disagree. The two concepts are mutually exclusive. At least to my mind.

1 Like

The vast majority of the population speak English day to day and it is the language with which they will engage in other education.

Ordinary level English is not just about learning poems, things like reading comprehension are a big part of it and should stay.

That’s a superb analytical mind. You must have learnt 2 languages as a young fella?

and if it is so important lads will choose to do it beyond the junior cycle, if people don’t want to, they should have that option.

College acceptance should be weighted more to subjects which have relevance to the subject of study.

And it is weighted because you can do ordinary or higher level with the points varying for it.

the same as every other subject. What’s your point?

Féach anseo……

Hawkeye (modern technology) gives it’s decisions as Gaeilge….Tá agus Níl.

1 Like

Sad to see lads on TFK continuing this cultural war

Well you made a couple of incorrect assertions. At ordinary level English you don’t have to do Shakespeare. This was paper one;

https://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2021/LC002GLP100EV.pdf

This automatically helps people in other subjects as it is directly transferable. In the Internet age, I think that’s more important than ever.

I can understand wanting a more A Level type system, with more specific subjects. My view is that that the Irish system is quite good and has served Ireland well. That doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be tweaked, ordinary level Irish holds very little value in the real world. Particularly when we are running out of teachers in it. Maths and English are the real core subjects.