Whatsapp as gaeilge, ‘Big Gaeilge’

I strongly doubt any universities in Ireland would accept students without Maths or English

2 Likes

the first question is a comprehension piece on Denise Chaila, fuck me.

Fagan makes a reasonable point above about it being relevant in the 40’s and 50’s as a fledgling nation attempted (poorly) to plot a path.

The late, great Breandán Ó h-Eithir deals with this issue excellently in his books Over The Bar and The Begrudger’s Guide to Irish Politics. A native speaker from the Aran Islands, he spent a period working as a saleman for Irish language textbooks under the iron fist of Éarnán de Blaghad (Ernest Blythe, a protestant civil war veteran with a fascistic approach to Gaeilge)

Such a zealot was Blythe that employees were summarily dismissed if a word of English was heard uttered. He used to make unannounced visit to schools where his troops would be operating. If word got around that he was in the locality, one of the salesmen would circulate a telegram to his colleagues that simply read “Cú chugat” (Hound approaches)

4 Likes

there are some subject where neither would be a requirement. there are others where it would. That’s up to the specific course requirements

By saying make it optional I’m not saying nobody should do it. I’m saying it should be optional and a student should be able to absolutely tailor their educational experience to suit whatever plans they have in the future.

King Lear was on paper 2 for ordinary, along with the Tempest, Wuthering Heights and 1984.

These have no bearing or relevance on further education that isn’t directly related to English Literature.

You don’t have to study Shakespeare though, it’s optional. Nothing wrong with engaging with texts or films, people are going to be surrounded by that media for life.

I can see an argument for slimming it to one paper, it seems a bit ridiculous that an ordinary level exam is spread over two papers.

Your position seems to be more along the lines of moving to an A Level type exam system which I can respect. I think the existing system works well though but can always be tweaked.

What’s your issue with that?

1 Like

vacuous gossip from a newspapers entertainment section in a State examination.

Nothing sinister, go back to the Woke cave :smiley:

1 Like

What exactly should be used for comprehension questions and why? Why do you think something that’s more related to youth culture shouldn’t be on an exam for youths? Strange position.

i don’t know, something with a bit more substance than a puff piece on a pop star, I suppose. Examinations aren’t about making people feel comfortable and cozy, I’d actually be disgusted at the generalization if I was a student and that was put in front of me

Christ above.

2 Likes

Think you’ll find in this day and age they are.

so you’re telling me lads aren’t going into leaving cert halls filled with absolute dread anymore?

are you going to elaborate or just leave it there, I’m good either way

You are goosed on question one if you don’t want to ever leave Ireland and/or you have no interest in music.

They are not going into the Halls full stop!

2 Likes

You’ve a problem with Shakespeare appearing on the English exam and you’ve a problem with pop culture appearing on the English exam.

2 Likes

Why? Does it mean you can’t read? It’s a comprehension question.

1 Like

to be clear, I don’t have a problem with either - I’m just saying it should be optional as a subject.

I think the puff piece is ridiculous alright. That’s a personal opinion, though, which you don’t seem to like people having

You can’t explain why you think it’s ridiculous. Imagine how bad you’d be if you’d been allowed opt out of English?

1 Like