When will Tipperary next win a Senior Hurling All Ireland

Im not saying you dont need stars but that its just not as important as hitherto.

1 Like

I would agree with you. Most counties have bags of “development squad hurlers”. The ones that will win All Irelands will have marquee hurlers.

1 Like

Some counties development squad hurlers are superior to others.

The day of having marquee hurlers who don’t work is gone though. If there ever was such a day, Kilkenny at their peak certainly had 6 forwards who hit everything that moved.

Some coaches would say it’s easier to teach a hard worker with a good attitude how to be a better hurler than it is to teach a natural stickman how to be a better worker.

3 Likes

They’ll win one before us I reckon

They will potentially be waiting a month for it as Kerry will have a Liam McCarthy preliminary round to play after the McDonagh cup final.

Seen that in Waterford too. For all the dubious talk of squad depth in Waterford, they’ve really only one marquee hurler - Ozzie. He’s about the only one with the dog in him as well when things are not going well.

Having gone to most of the league games I was pretty sure the squad depth thing was an illusion. Some of the chaps tried in the league were poor enough. Your man Harney who came on for the second half yesterday, did he hit a ball over the entire second half? The lad from Clonea, Dalton who got game time in the league never got a minute in the championship, nor did Kirwan from Kill who also got a couple of runs in the league.

Shane Bennett came on in most games and didn’t hit a ball. Montgomery wasn’t a huge upgrade on Kiely. I’d be better than Paidi Mahony at this stage, at least I might hit a fella a slap.

In reality the wheels came off the wagon when Iarflaith Daly got injured. We had no viable replacement. That’s fairly damning of our squad depth that the whole thing could come asunder because of a young lad in his second season

Not this year anyway based on that lazy performance.

It’s on baby.

1 Like

They’ll be sorry yet.

We were very poor today. Just didn’t get going at all. I’d say if we didn’t give away that soft goal in second half, we would have possibly ended up winning it all the same.

We were always going to have one shite performance this championship and it’s out of the way. Would have loved a Munster final but wouldn’t fear playing the Leinster runner up one bit in an AI quarter. It’ll get trickier after that.

1 Like

So Tipp v Offaly and Carlow v Dublin?

Correct.

1 Like

Poor Carlow can’t catch a break

Might be a good result for Tipp in the long run. Davy staying in the job means every other team only needs to get past Cork to be in the All Ireland series every year.

Big question is if today was just a hangover from last week’s exertions, or if Sgt major Cahill has done a number on them already.

1 Like

Will they get one in before the end of the decade to preserve the record?

1 Like

I don’t need to keep telling ye, do I?

1 Like