Who wasn't bugging GSOC

Should have went to the Coast guard

Yeah this is what the Sunday Times lad was saying this morning.

“Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn’t have mouthed off like that!”

Interesting watching this being spun in various media organisations. Everything you read or hear from now on will be fed from sources. Paul Reynolds on RTE seems to be effectively a Garda press officer from what I have seen of him.

I think de paper is the only media with any credibility in AGS stories

Can you swing a sack of door-knobs?

They should have gone to the President or Gerry Adams.

Oh, Kent, I’d be lying if I said my men weren’t committing crimes.

An Phoblact

Or TFK.

Agreed. We’ve already had one whistle blower here who exposed plagiarism by a journalist.
That was handled in a much more professional manner than other whistle blower scandals in this country.

[quote=“artfoley, post: 901316, member: 179”]The online version of the story went up at midnight so rte sat on it til the 9pm news. Think the story went on the irish times around 7pm. While the story has been framed so you can only come to one conclusion as to the culprits, its damning of both shatter and callinan that its easily believable

@Fagan ODowd what was the reaction at the time when the kennedy/arnold story broke?[/quote]
Frenzied.

TWCB has cleaned house. Lock the thread.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 901350, member: 1786”]Agreed. We’ve already had one whistle blower here who exposed plagiarism by a journalist.
That was handled in a much more professional manner than other whistle blower scandals in this country.[/quote]

+1. Despite what the likes of Ewan MacKenna says about TFK on Twitter, we’ve handled all manner of issues with professionalism and sensitivity.

You mention this well documented plagiarism event but we also have a tremendous record in facilitating people coming out.

Look at all the chat and debate about Michael Sam coming out overnight in America and how groundbreaking it is but we supported All Change Please taking a similar seismic step as far back as 2007.

You can rely on TFK.

In a lot of these situations it is not clear who was responsible or at what level it was sanctioned, if you report it it may just go in a circle so you sit on it until you need it and then release it to damage whoever needs to be damaged.

This apparently relates to enquiry into use of informers/sting operations by GardaĂ­ and GSOC investigation into that.

I expect more surveillance/bugging of other organisations will now emerge

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 901356, member: 2272”]
This apparently relates to enquiry into use of informers/sting operations by GardaĂ­ and GSOC investigation into that.
I expect more surveillance/bugging of other organisations will now emerge[/quote]

If this is true then at least Callinan and Shatter will have to go.

I doubt it would get up as far as Shatter, unless he knew about it. Be good craic if it went right to the top

Wexford General Election poll topper Mick Wallace will have the last laugh here. :clap:

In any normal functioning democracy they would be gone but I suspect they will do the Irish thing and try to hang on.

This has potential to bring down the government if Labour demand Shatter’s head. I suspect timing of the release is designed to do that and land another blow after penalty points controversy and his handling of that.

Shatter has already used private police information re Wallace to score political points. More should have been made of that at the time. That will now come back to the fore.

Media angle on RTE and Irish Independent is that GSOC are somehow in the wrong for not reporting to Shatter that they were bugged.

It is fascinating in some ways to watch how this plays out - it is very House of Cards-ish in how each side will try and control/spin the media message.

Double edged sword for shatter: all bugging orders are supposed to go before him, but if it didnt hes lost his authority over AGS