Why is rooral Oireland so determined to hold the country back?

I got that bit and assume they wouldn’t be proposing it otherwise

Are you suggesting they try and develop castlebar or ballinasloe? Have you been to these places

Or are you a fan of investement in galway to balance dublin? That would make sense. Need an airport though.

1 Like

Sure the brits already did…we still use the train line they put down 100 years ago…that’s the ones that todd andrews didn’t have ripped up…

The shloe was once the gateway to the west…

A balbriggan acquaintance told me where the balance of power lies there

Albania?

That isn’t Dublin investing though, that’s the Government. They are afraid of their lives of putting money into Dublin so will always cut a bit off the top as a sop to the cabinet minister having a moan.

Dublin as a city cannot raise finances, via taxes or the markets, so is at the whim of “national priorities”. Our PR system means this becomes a mess.

Dublin needs a Robert Moses or a Freddy Salvucci, and badly.

Stand at Charlemont between 5-6.30 and tell people the Luas is going well.

Under investment. Not enough Luas and Luas not long enough.

I have no idea why they didn’t build a terminus at at st Stephens green when they extended it.

A couple of points:

1. The plan if implemented properly would look to provide genuine counter-balance to Dublin in Cork/Galway/Limerick etc. If it’s spread to thin this doesn’t happen

2. The plan if implemented properly tries to get ahead of the curve in terms of infrastructure. All the infrastructure is already at capacity as soon as it’s built. Underground is essential. This applies to the other cities too - get working on the rail projects/Luas etc now

3. Building up is the only solution long-term for Dublin

4. This is all diluted and jeopardised if every two-bit local TD (and associated roasters) thinks that their town is as important as these goals. Resources are limited and have to be focused to be effective.

2 Likes

Well this is it. The LUAS doesn’t have the capacity. It is light rail, it should be for only short sharp distances.

It is highly desired because it is frequent and direct though, but is sadly half assed.

Everyone wants a LUAS to their doorstep but that’s not how transport should work.

Far sighted thinking.

All the bloody low rise buildings.

There’s an attitude out there that anything “urban” means Dublin only. So you’ll get lads from places like Tipp Town whinging that there’s nothing in it for them when they are about 40 minutes from Limerick, with an existing rail link and all.

*I do think Sligo should be targeted. I’d also worry that Limerick and Galway are so close now that targeting both will dilute what they are trying to achieve.

2 Likes

The irrational irish fear of high rise apartment living has to go alright. TDs sole reason to exist is to get re elected. An us v them debate especially involving dublin is every roaster TDs wet dream, so any such planning is impossible in the current political structure.

If public service not private enrichment was the guiding principle behind even half of irish politicians and civil servants reasons for entering their jobs the country wouldnt already be so neglected. local communities and citizens are almost by necessity just in it for themselves.

1 Like

Agree with a lot of that.

The funny thing is, talk to most under 35 and they won’t have a problem with it.

Building masses of social housing together is a terrible idea, but mixed development high rise is not.

But even still, there’s no excuse with office blocks. There is so much wasted land in Dublin but the Docklands is criminal. I don’t know how many hundred thousand square foot Google have in Dublin but if they were in one tower of 50 stories you’d free up so much space.

2 Likes

The fear of high rise is unfortunate but not unwarranted due to the standard of build.

Long term the two major cities Limerick and Dublin have to do it properly.

Follow on from that…210 k people employed in foreign companies here …what do you do when they say they want set up in Dublin? No you have to go to Longford as they need investment . …see how that works. . the trend shows these companies generally want to be in cities with an infrastructure and amenities that can cater for a population of at least 1m … that puts dublin up against at a guess 30 to 40 cities in europe…so dublin is over achieving. . but insular Paddy is not happy with that. .he thinks Tuam or Banagher should get the same as Dublin…

I don’t disagree with any of those points. But i fail to see how a successful infrastructure can be built on top of whats there. And regardless of what rural TDs think of don’t think there’s no avoiding that reality.

Theres a bunch of new buildings nearing completion around GCD and across the river. I genuinely don’t know how the area will handle the additional people unless someone starts running sea taxis out to shuttle buses in Sutton and Dun Laoghaire. Everything is built in isolation with no joined up thinking.

1 Like