Why is rooral Oireland so determined to hold the country back?

Underground transport and high rise buildings.

It is the only way.

We actually have a lot of potential here.

RTÉ at the moment - case in point. Roscommon lad not happy enough with the fact that Athlone (dubiously) seems to be getting named a midlands capital. If Strokestown and Boyle don’t get something too they’re “abandoning people”

1 Like

It’s actually nothing like the longest tunnel in Europe.

1 Like

Well other cities do it by increasing density (building up) and big infrastructure (underground metros)

Underground yes. High rise no. There’s no space for public services or amenities to handle the crowds in high rise.

Other cities have a historical infrastructure from the last 100 years though.

Paddy doesn’t like living in apartments.

City.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dublin-opens-europes-longest-city-road-tunnel-429420.html%3Famp

Are you suggesting we give up so?

Paddy likes having his cake and eating it (and not wanting to pay for it)

No. But more focus on building out rather than concentrating more into city centre.

Your solution is more sprawl. Seriously?

2 Likes

Doesn’t stop China.

At times you have to get things done.

Now to be fair, I dismissed the road network built in the Celtic Tiger but Fianna Fáil did manage to slap down an awful lot of them to be fair. I remember my dad being slagged off by his mate before in the States because he was talking about some new 50km stretch of motorway we had built (might have been the start of the M1, this is about 18/19 years ago now). Ireland’s roads were a Europe wide embarrassment back then.

Those were easier wins though tbf.

They live and work in the city

You ice lovers have an odd mindset

Companies don’t want to be set in sprawl.

We’ve already established several satellite towns as it is. Blanchardstown and Sandyford are bloody massive. Microsoft’s campus is crazy. Don’t think they would go much further though.

Apologise because there is nowhere decent their employees can live unless they are earning multiple of the avg wage?

Amd then off tjey go to mainland europe. .What’s average wage in multinationals? Circa 55k

High housing costs aren’t a uniquely Dublin thing.

We have ways of helping that though.

Have you ever been outside of Ireland?

I’m not from Ireland.

I am well aware of satellite towns.

Burlington is the home of Boston’s tech scene. Cambridge has education and biotech.

It doesn’t mean downtown Boston isn’t teaming with activity and dense.

I don’t have a problem with them, but they are not the solution to the problems Dublin faces into. You can only build so many 50k towns.