Why should there be jobs set aside for women in universities?

It is for women anyway.

Not doing the PhD for kicks.

1 Like

Keep it up joe

Would you do that for consultant surgeons too? Half of all new consultant surgeons to be women.

1 Like

The stupidist thing about this is that all of a suddenly the state can magic up another 50 roles out of thin air in academia to achieve this gender balance. Top notch salaries and pensions that will cost millions. Are these roles even needed? Meanwhile part time staff in departments are being treated like indentured servants (And accepting it in the hope of moving up) and as we know due to the amount of phd’s being handed out the market is flooded and this is not likely to change any time soon.

1 Like

Do universities have the cash to whip up 50 new lecturing positions out of the blue? Since when?

Is there evidence that lots of female candidates are being looked over for promotion in favour of inferior men? Would seem sensible if so.

Shur it’s not the universities creating these positions it’s Mary Mitchell o Connor a government minister… which is my point… a

She’s an utter fool. I think this is getting too much attention. It’s attention grabbing at first instance, but it’s half of new positions, it really can’t affect much. I think it’s main effect will be a culture change, what went on in Galway was scandalous in fairness.

The NUIG case would suggest so.

Tell that to the TFK misogyny crew.

Who mentioned qualitative criteria in terms of inferior or superior - it’s an equality of outcome so 50/50.

It’s not half of new positions according to herself on the radio last week. They are newly created positions. Which id assume there is no need for.

Most third level institutions are hugely understaffed at teaching/research level (could be argued that they are overstaffed at an admin level)

I’ve avoided this story but is it a case that these positions will essentially be promotions (i.e. female lecturer moves to professorship/ senior lecturer) and in doing so, does it open up positions down the ranks for new recruits, regardless of gender?

1 Like

So it creates more positions

I’ve had a quick read. These jobs wouldn’t exist without this plan of Mitchell O’Connor. They are essentially promotions.
It may have a knock on effect for newer academics looking for work as a professorship usually equals less teaching hours that someone has to fill.

1 Like

Will ‘no man need apply’ be included in the job advertisements?

See my second post Joe. It may do indirectly from my reading of it, but it’s certainly not taking jobs away from anyone

1 Like

Exactly… it “may” have an impact. Also it may not. Do you think Mary has thought this far ahead? Are these roles required? And if they are, going forward are they ringfenced for candidates with a vagina only?