Wine and beef

any of you fookos wine drinkers?

i’m sitting here at 1:01 on a friday night postin on tfk.com while drinking white wine from a 330ml coca cola glass. i know it sounds extremely gay but i’m really enjoying the wine (espirit de nijinsky chardonnay 2005 -sounds cheap but it was free). i always enjoy free wine with a work dinner or in legs after a rake of pints but i wouldn’t have a fooking clue how to tell a decent bottle from a 5 euro spar bottle.

is there anybody out there who does (and if so how did it come about)?

Fook off steamboatsam. Wine is always good regardless of colour

There’s an example of alcoholic behaviour if ever there was one.

I shall arrange for an intervention.

I love red wine - not a big fan of white but had a lovely bottle recently (Gavi di Gavi) and I’ll be getting that again.

Wouldn’t have a clue about expensive versus cheap wines but what I have noticed is that my current red wine of choice is Faust and thre’s two bottles you can get in Spar - one for maybe 8 euro and one for twice that. And the dearer one is far nicer so there is a noticable difference in quality.

Other than that I know precious little.

wines are made from grapes, as is grapejuice. both are available from spar

Love a nice old world 2004 merlot myself. I’m a bit racist when it comes to wines, it’s gotta be red.

wines are made from grapes, as is grapejuice. both are available from spar

I’ve seen grapes, but no grapejuice in spar. Who the fook calls themselves after a fat bandage may I ask?

Like the old red wine myself to be honest. On nights out I’m torn between drinking it or not because of the red lips. However to balance that the majority of people drink white wine so there is usualy more red wine on offer

Leggs’ wine is piss. Can’t drink it. It literally cuts through me.

Wine is guarantted to get you drunk. My employer have welcoming eveings before they give the interview and I got nicely tanked up at mine on red wine. Spilled some on my suit and everything. Tend to avoid that auld lad who gives it out now.

Quality catch from shannonsider. Resurrecting this.

Don’t know too much but let’s have a go. Generally drink red, all I know of white is I don’t like a lot of it but do like Pinot grigio and albariño. Red, I generally buy Spanish or south American wines. My reasoning being, I tend to like them, while Australian wines are awful, French wines are oversidised overproduced and overpriced (though some are lovely but a bit pricey), and Italian wines I’ve found either gorgeous or awful but inconsistent.

One thing I’m sure of is I’ve never had a bad carmenere from chile. Gorgeous stuff. And Argentinian malbec is usually very very good. Having a glass of it now and it’s gorgeous stuff.

Double post.

I have half a dozen bottles of quite expensive Stellenbosch which I’m convinced is poisoned with either Jeyes Fluid or anti freeze. Some kunt told me it was the best stuff he’d ever drank but I think it’s appalling. Completely mugged.

Don’t drink much wine but I like pinotage. Only drink white wine with fish generally,I like Sauvignon blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand.

Now if I can just figure out how to delete that other one I started…

I like red wine. Can anyone recommend a really nice red wine that you would typically buy in a supermarket or off licence? Or are these usually shit?

Faustino VII rioja. Spanish red, consistently good, available all over.

There are a lot of really nice red wines. In my experience it is hard to beat a nice Cotes du Rhone for everyday drinking value. The designation Cotes du Rhone Villages is generally a step up in quality and anything with a specific village name is better still. Rasteau is one my favorites from the Rhone and has a lot of the characteristics of a good Chateauneuf du Pape without the higher price.

Esprit de Nijinsky is made by David O’Brien, son of racing god Vincent. David had his own glorious day in the racing sun. In 1984 he became the youngest man to train an Epsom Derby winner when his 14/1 shot Secreto beat odds on favourite El Gran Señor trained by his father in one of the great Epsom Derbies. Anthony Cronin author of the definitive biography on Flann O Brien had a column in the Irish Times at the time and called the unlikely winner the morning of the race.

Dunph you’ll get a really nice red wine in any French supermarket for a fiver.

+1 Glas.A man after my own heart.

I am just after landing in Edinburgh and my oul doll is after cooking me a medium rare steak with a glass of the above.delectable.

Lovely wines made in Rioja, Foustino VII is great value. The primary grape used in both Rioja and southern Rhone wines is the same, garnacha in Spain, grenache in France.