With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

The whole internals of it would need to be done, plumbing, electrics, heating etc. It’s effectively the construction of a new house incorporated in the shell of the existing dwelling.

I haven’t viewed it yet but I would suspect the bedrooms are probably very small so a small extension out the back may be needed to allow for a slightly bigger main bedroom and ensuite - but obviously that would necessitate planning which I’d rather avoid.

Do you need planning for all extensions or just over a certain size?

cc @Gman

It looks like a concrete block house as opposed to cavity so it will need drywalling, heating, plumbing and electrics will all be needed but I’d be fairly confident of managing costs on most of this as I would not be running on tight timelines or hiring contractors.

I’ve no idea.

Anything under 40m2 and at the rear of the building (i.e. not visible from the road), is exempt.

3 Likes

I thought there was something alright … so there you go @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy, just keep adding extensions under 40m2 every couple of years

Previous extensions count towards the 40m2

Shur that woz always dere yer honor …

1 Like

Did someone say @juhniallio?

2 Likes

I’d love to have seen an impact study into Cromwell’s plantations…

Knock it down and start again

2 Likes

Do not.Dont heed this ballbag.Get a few skips and gut the place out.You can do all that yourself.Put good insulated board on the external inside walls and ceiling.Thats a 2 man job but a couple of weekends will do it. Take up the old sand and cement floors,another job you can do yourself. New windows and depending on the roof id proably latt and felt it with a decent slate.The rest then would be inside.

3 Likes

I cant see where this could go wrong

2 Likes

My better half was saying she heard on Claire Byrne’s show that a caller rang into Pascal to note (or complain) that he and his wife had mortgage approval, went to sale agreed then the bank revoked the mortgage approval due to the company he works for availing of the Wage Subsidy Scheme even though he didn’t benefit from it. My Mrs employers and my employers availed of the WSS even though our salaries weren’t affected. Is that us scuppered??

@Gman talk to me about fibreglass for a flat roof extension

we’re looking at a flat single storey extension and the builder is recommending fibreglass

It’s grand. It’s cheaper than membrane type roofing and you have more potential to walk on it. I still prefer the insulated Trojan or alkor single membrane system, but each to their own really. Just make sure whoever does the roof does good work on all the joints and seals and any flashing, that’s where the leaks happen on any system

2 Likes

1930s house. In good structural condition. 40sqm extension. 16sqm of it at first floor level. 24sqm of it on the ground floor extending the kitchen / living - €120,000. Doesn’t include new kitchen, island, finishes etc. and none of the rest of the renovation. It’s only a very rough starting point on a journey but seems toppy?

You getting it finished in gold and marble?

Of course he is. He’s a banker.

That was my good fortune alright!

1 Like