With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

I don’t think I could make up 80 hours a week if I added in time spent sleeping

2 Likes

Sometimes I’d use active travel methods to get there and back. On other occasions, @briantinnion would treat us to a ride in his Tesla. Memories and stories, that’s what it’s all about.

2 Likes

My boss probably works 80 hours a week as well but it’s down to a complete inability to delegate any responsibility. The boss prior to him I couldn’t get of hold of him and it suited both of us just the finest

Raised on songs and Tesla’s

1 Like

I would have said that was a pipe dream this time last year but it’s not as unrealistic now. I don’t know if you’ve noticed me whining on the crèche threads about the difficulties in raising toddlers/babies without any family support in a pandemic. Even post pandemic, we’ve been thinking it would be good for us, the boys and the wider family to be close by. I need to make it happen though.

1 Like

Will you end up on the stoney grey soil or the sunny south east

Sunny south east. Monaghan is a kip.

1 Like

Glorious Gorey

Dublin is over. Set fire to your property and get out

I think the preference for most is a split between wfh and going in

1 Like

You know it’ll be Monaghan. Stop coddin yourself.Most wimmin are tied to their mammies but nordie wimmin are the worst for it

Yeah, as @Bandage mentioned the 3-2 or 2-3 split. We also had some dinosaurs in management who were totally opposed to wfh and the stance looks laughable now. We had a guy commuting from Limerick pre-Covid and everyone thought he was nuts. Nobody is saying that now, the lad turned out to be a visionary.

I’m hearing that anything up to 50/50 split is automatically allowed. Anything over that will require management approval. Some of that is down to assigning of desks. If you’re in less than half the time then you might be asked to be unassigned from a permanent seat. I mentioned before that in an ideal situation I’m planning on working 3days home, two days in office. I may have to formally declare the opposite(2 home, 3 office) to have a permanent seat. We’ll see.

All of that was before the mooted laws allowing anyone work from home being allowed.

Either way we’re proceeding with plans to build in suburban Kilkenny. We’re currently in a pre-planning permission slow down. Awaiting some kind of interaction from the County Council to get the ball rolling.

5 Likes

I’ll eventually be mainly back at work, but it could be another 12 months before that happens. I’ve always done a bit of WFH and have the flexibility to do that up to I’d say nearly half the week.

We have a policy in our place that we are not supposed to email others after 6pm. If you’re working late and want to send something, then you schedule it to send from 8am the following morning.

This was mentioned before, and it was actually mentioned by our boss:

She does not like getting emails in the evening at all at all

Islands in the kitchen for everyone is the future.
Congrats lads. We won

3 Likes

I think this WFH business will lead as night follows day to less job security as jobs become more “consultancy” based. This will gladden some. There’ll be winners and losers, but I suspect most people have spent a lot of money on the tinternet. There’s stuff being bought at record levels. The used guitar market, and exercise equipment markets to name but two.
Any extra money saved will likely end up where it always seems to in Ireland, on the price of housing.
There’s summat not right if you look at it from afar. Nothing running properly and people richer than ever 🤷

5 Likes

One thing that’s being advanced by the big consultancy firms in terms of the “hybrid model” is separating out the tasks from a role that work best in the office and vice versa. So if pre WFH John and Mary spent half their time in people facing activities and half their time working on spreadsheets, the spreadsheet work is assigned to one person and the brainstorming and planning to another. This obviously runs the risk of creating monotonous work and boredom.

I’m just dubious that a system where the entire hospitality/tourism/transport industry has been effectively shut down, where the healthcare industry has been seriously curtailed, where business travel and interactions are most likely decimated, where non essential commerce has been drastically reduced, has people richer than ever. If, as claimed, people are saving and saving and saving, there must, by definition, be less spending, so the whole notion of leveraging goes out the window.
I’m a little suspicious of the figures.
Ireland seems to oscillate from boom to bust with alarming ease, and from irrational optimism to irrational pessimism similarly.

2 Likes

Where we differ from the last crash is the levels of credit in the system. Debt servicing costs are lower for most households and the domestic banks have been strong-armed into allowing payment holidays and are well capitalised enough to survive the cash flow hit.

I realise all that, but if interest rates rise, we are all in trouble.
Anyhow, it wasn’t so much that, more that it doesn’t seem to make sense that people are richer than ever because of lockdown
The last bit was more an observation. Just before the last bust, there were similar sentiments

1 Like

I wonder if people’s opinion of WFH will start to change when they start to get overlooked for promotions and bonus etc plus their role becomes less secure as businesses begin to recognise that they can actually manage without them.