With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

i think if that happens to someone then yes, their feelings would change

6 Likes

A point well made.

2 Likes

That’s why it’s important to lock in that middle management spoofery job first, then tip away on MS Teams until retirement

2 Likes

If you’re not fit to impose your AUTHORITAY upon the workspace in the 2-3 days you’re in the office then you’d be no loss anyway

You’ll have a small set of people in MNCs all over Ireland that are banking on this happening. The type that have been there 20+ years and are sitting on a low-mid 6 figure pot of gold when they are cordially asked to fuck off.

No doubt, understandable.

The dream

4 Likes

Working from your own private island.

Almost certainly a few in Kerry group who are cashing in.

As someone from a rural area I don’t want to live a housing estate to raise a family etc. This ban on one off housing is ridiculous, contracting supply further and forcing people into estates with over inflated prices

If people in one off houses footed the bill to connect to the broadband and water network themselves would the urbanites have an issue?

Urbanites don’t have to worry about septic tanks or bio cycles. There is a connection charge for electricity grid I dunno about the water mains

Slightly different circumstances but you had about 80 people taking voluntary redunancy from a local factory recently. Vast majority a couple of years either side of 60. Payouts ranging from 300k to 600k.
They’ll have serious pension coming to them then as well in a few years.

Surely there’s loads of houses in “rural areas” - we’ve been told for years about rural depopulation etc. Why don’t you just buy one of those.

2 Likes

That’s what a lot of people are already doing to get around onerous planning restrictions. Buy an old house/ruin and then rebuild a bigger house on the site.

That’s marginally better than more one-offs I would have thought?

Apart from the increased connection cost, one-offs impact upon the provision of public transport, increased use of cars, provision of public/community services etc etc etc. It’s not hard to see why policy is increasingly weighted against them

2 Likes

These developments are housing estates. There is a housing estate in the village I’m living near that has asking prices of €500k plus. It’s not a well to do area or overly desirable address.

I wouldnt say I build myself probably buy a one off house etc but by stopping planning for new one off housing will constrict already short supply. Thus pushing up all house prices rural and urban

Far easier and quicker to build 30 houses in an estate than 30 individual houses I’d say so I’m not sure I’d buy that argument as the reason to open it up.

This is a good point.

Personally, i would like to see existing Sites with housing brought back to life but in reality most are knocked and fresh builds started for economic reasons.

Costs a huge amount of money to bring an old house up to new Green ratings required.

I can understand why individuals would like the big house out in the country etc etc. However, I think the cost on society across several metrics makes it increasingly unsustainable with the cost passed onto society rather than being borne by the individual. Refurbing existing ones seems like a reasonable compromise - I’m not sure whether it makes much difference if they’re refurbed or rebuilt. If it costs more and scarce things usually do - then that’s just one of the trade-offs required.

1 Like