With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

I think the societal impact has considerably weakened since “ Work from Home “ became an actual game changer with the arrival of Covid.

Rural Ireland is needed and simply won’t just disappear.

2 Likes

We have a limited amount of builders.

It makes sense to push builders to build estates rather than one off houses in order to get more units built faster.

So it should actually increase supply.

2 Likes

Rediculous we’re still even having to physically cable broadband in these settings. Tech is there to move away from it and provide wireless surely

Cash is king

1 Like

:ronnyroar:

The societal impact is in one-off housing outside villages and towns, not in living in rural Ireland. It’s caused by the dispersed very low density of housing.

I think people moving back into rural Ireland with “work from home” etc is a good thing. That doesn’t need to be into new mcmansions and bungalows though. It can be in local villages and towns which arguably would have more impact on strengthening local communities.

3 Likes

Local communities have been decimated.

Begin from a charming little hamlet in south-west Wexford, i can say that every property within 500m of the village centre is picked up by a retired brit or by a Dublin based purchaser far well in excess of the market value.

Prices have gone sky high causing those that grew up in the village to move out to the hinterland.

Guys could some of you critique our back of a information flyer sketch of a plan?

1. Keep house in Dublin for the short-medium term;

2. Buy a house in the environs of Wexford town in the next few months;

3. AirBnB Wexford house and take advantage of staycation trend, opera festival and other long and short stays. Although not a coastal “resort”, Wexford town is a grand base for any manner of day trips to beaches and what not for holidaymakers and a nice option for weekend breaks too.

4. Use Wexford house ourselves around 2/3 months per year for extended summer holidays, Christmas break and ad hoc trips when it’s not booked out.

5. Renovate Wexford house after a couple of years to get the AirBnB footprint/smell out of there and move to Wexford permanently.

6. Sell Dublin house.

If we’re to believe that the pandemic will result in more people moving out of Dublin and to provincial towns/the bog then would it be wise to move on a Wexford house before prices start increasing materially “down the country”?

AirBnB would/could cover the mortgage repayments.

We can then see how the jobs market reacts post Covid for a year or two. We would only move to Wexford if wfh becomes standard, bar the very odd requirement to travel to Dublin for face to face meetings. I’m talking 1 travel day every 2 weeks max. We could in theory negotiate permanent wfh roles with our current employers but we want to see how things are generally. You don’t want to be completely beholden to them and kinda forced to stay with them because they allow you to work from Wexford but the market has returned to the way it was.

We hope Dublin house price won’t be too damaged. I saw ESRI predicting house prices would go up because of lack of supply and Covid enforced building delays. But I would have thought it would move the other way and there’ll be a bit of a reckoning soon enough when industries that have survived on state support will collapse once PUP etc is removed? We’re in Dublin 5 near DART line and convenient to city centre so insulated a bit. But if no cunts are going into the city centre any more?

We can probably cover deposit requirements for new house while retaining other one. We might be charged investment property rates though on a loan.

Is this a dumb idea?

I just want my young lads to play for Faythe Harriers.

11 Likes

What’s the supply and demand situation in Wexford according to your sources?

Hmmm. Give me a chance. This plan is a living and breathing document. There are a few developments due to kick off on the edge of the town afaik. One across the river by Ely Hospital and another up by the racecourse looking down to the Slaney. There are around 50 or 60 one off housing options for sale on Daft with 4/5 bedroom parameter included. There’s a new multi million euro Trinity Wharf development for commercial, office, residential on south end of town coming in a few years too. This will be the Google Docks of the south east.

It’s a great idea and I’d advise you to place the deposit and get the wheels in motion ASAP.

I’m in the process of buying another property also.

2 Likes

Another news report today suggesting government will pay civil servants to move to the sticks and decentralise

Smashing news.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah, I can see that’s a problem but presumably more likely to affect seaside/holiday areas?

I know of a big push in one public service department to move people from their regional office job into a remote working pool where they can process work that is coming via online portals.

1 Like

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/4c236-our-rural-future-vision-and-policy-context/

Sell house in Dublin. Its a sellers market at the moment. Rent in wexford till you decide where in wexford you want to live. You wont regret this decision.

9 Likes

You’d want to move quick. I’ve noticed dozens of young people packing up and leaving Dublin in recents days.

I’d imagine a lot of offices won’t reopen like before.

1 Like

Dublin is finished.

1 Like