With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

This time they need to move a better quality of unit/division so there’s a chance of career progression as opposed to previous model just creating outposts.

Its a fair point on supply but there a lack of options in rural towns and villages. As I said above I could get a house in an estate near me advertised as 300-450k, I have heard bidding war is on going for these. As opposed to getting a plot via family and building yourself (an added painin the hole no less). Id hate to live in an estate, I rented in a few for years and was grand but not what I would like long term

1 Like

Have they tried that decentralisation before? @glasagusban can you return to Limerick? I’d have to get you a pint in whatever rural pub you end up :grinning:

2 Likes

yeah completely. pain in the hole if one is looking to head back that way though

@Julio_Geordio would you recommend me buying the above off the plans?

That picture is very deceptive.
I pass the proposed site most days and it looks very small for the size of the house.
It’s been advertised for years.
The car parking outside the wall is a bit mad too as it’s a fairly busy road.

1 Like

Houses should only be bought off plans. Only a mug needs to see it built first

2 Likes

Do you mean actual monetary costs or societal type costs on mental health and loneliness or that?

In terms of monetary costs, I’m not sure building rural affects things that much more than in urban areas. When you build in an urban area, there is a scatter of additional costs to factor in, infrastructure for lighting, roads, communal areas etc, which the individual one off house builder doesnt get. Similarly, one off builders still have council contributions to make to road, water and local amenities. I live down a stoned up lane that the council do nothing with, I put in my own well, and we’ve no local amenities here, so its a large chunk of money into their pot with no clear physical improvements to the area made by the council.

There are absolutely other large costs that the one off house costs, the road network, power and water generally that gets subsidised by the public generally, but I would say it is hard to quantify what is being spent more and whose tax money goes more to urban areas or rural areas. It absolutely makes sense to make larger villages or housing available in rural areas to a more density proportioned set up, but there is no appetite to do this in any large scale format.

If the government or policy makers want to essentially ban one off housing, then they need to do more to help keep people in their home areas rather than pushing them to their nearest large town or city. Until they can get some sort of plan in place to do that, pushing people out of rural areas will not help matters.

3 Likes

Sure people in rural areas don’t get their moneys worth from the LPT, getting your own well, septic tanks etc are costs you have to carry.

1 Like

You couldnt be digging a well when you have the septic tank flowing into the nearest drain.

Dig a bypass to the ditch and no one will know.

Pfft, let it run down the driveway altogether.

yeah absolutely. And dont forget those islands in the kitchen dont pay for themselves either!

but there are plenty of costs borne by councils in terms of providing housing whether to a one off rural or a high density development. Which costs more per unit is debatable and probably is more in favour of the one off getting more provided, but it doesnt mean they have it all their own way either and are getting hand outs to be able to build rurally.

Never mind having an en suite a bucket is the finest and “flush” the bucket over a neighbours wall

A lot of newer houses have stringent planning requirements that are continuing costs to the homeowner, if you have a shit percolation test a bio cycle is a pain to maintain, watching what you throw down the drain, detergents to use etc plus the upkeep of the system. All for the betterment of the environment as opposed to the concil pumping waste into the sea. Getting your own well compared to the mains water also, or a private community seem.

I know some folk who are alien to these concepts as it’s a given in urban environments. I rather put up with the above than love in an estate

You can find love anywhere mate. Don’t give up

3 Likes

There’s actually a new civil service mobility scheme to try facilitate greater movement of civil servants both geographically and between departments.

Since I finished college I’ve always thought that I would move back to Limerick in some notional 5 to 10 years time… I still think I will eventually, but about 15 years after finishing college i haven’t gotten any closer to it, it’s still a vague 5 to 10 years away.

1 Like

It’s pretty Irish that the focus is all on the house rather than the community. Rural Ireland is fucked if all it is is a collection of houses or estates. It’s the town that they are in/around that counts. I think supports and funding should be put into maintaing essential infrastructure and services rather than into any houses/developments. That’s what creates and maintains desirable living areas.
Cork is brilliant at creating pride/self sufficiency in their towns. Quite simply, the world is fucked if everyone wants their own plot of land and standalone gaff.

11 Likes

Cork doesn’t have to create pride. The cunts are born with it.

1 Like

Hopefully this accelerate it. Some good will come out of covid. A lower cost of living too. The need to go to Dublin for a job will hopefully drop

1 Like