With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Still easier than buying in the city I’d suspect

Sounds like what a Dub would say

4 Likes

It costs taxpayers to much to have one off housing, it’s bad for the environment and it.looks shit

1 Like

You can forget about Dublin.

It keeps rural Ireland alive, once people don’t take the piss. There are much worse things afflicting tax payers.

The Dublin market is a bubble now, prices shooting up

1 Like

Move to estates in the village

Dublin is synonymous with “shooting up”

No.

That’s some wedge …up to what amount is tax free ?

I’d say there are both direct and indirect costs. Clearly it costs a lot more money, per house, to connect utilities when they are dispersed vs when they are grouped together. The National Broadband Plan is the very definition of this. Commercial companies could do it but don’t see the return so the state will have to subsidise connections to rural housing.

Probably more at issue is the indirect costs and impact upon public policy and in particular about our aspirations to be more environmentally minded. It’s much harder (or expensive) to provide public transport to one-off housing so therefore everyone drives. Everyone drives so traffic/commuting etc and the extra infrastructure required. It’s much harder (and expensive) to provide health and emergency services to low-density dispersed area etc etc etc.

There is a rational reason that the policy is in place in my mind and it’s not just to deny country-folk their kitchen island dreams …

2 Likes

The old idea of rural Ireland was a rural economy, neighbours helping each other, and gatherings at the local pub. From what I can see now you have houses empty from 8am-6pm while people commute to their jobs, almost no neighbour interaction and pubs closing down. Attractive villages and towns will keep rural Ireland alive, not endless bungalows with a half acre of lawns.

3 Likes

There was recently a programme about Cloughjordan and it seemed really good concept.

Abbeyfeale featured in the TV3 news this evening and it was grim . Ballyhaunis on RTE too , grim as well but not as bad

There was a show about all the barbers in Abbeyfeale last year

There was indeed and it was a most interesting hour .

But what about if we sell up and then wfh doesn’t become a permanent thing and we don’t want to commute daily from Wexford town?

Run it by your boss. This gives you lay of land. If you dont get reassurances, move to a company that does. My brother in law is moving from Dublin to Cork. Going to work in dublin 2 days a week. They have two young kids ( 4 and 2) with another due in July. Its a lifestyle choice. If as a family, ye are happy to make this move, go for it 100 per cent and dont look back.

5 Likes

I’ve heard various things over the years, but I thought there was a limit of something like 16 years worth of a payout from redundancy. If anyone knows the exact rules I’d be interested to know. Is it decided company by company?

There’s absolutely no incentive for anyone who has built up a decent redundancy nest egg to leave.

I’ve heard the best thing to do with it is to top up pension. Seems a no-brainer for people at that age.

No doubt on the previous, it does make economic sense to build in a cluster rather than individually. But anyone building rural will have extra costs as a result and also not have the convenience or access to services in an urban setting. It’s the cons to accept the pros that also come with it.

I’ve no issue if they want to stop large scale one off housing, but not having a proper rural development plan to essentially replace this is my issue.