With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Flexibility is the key. If you want to office use the office, if you want to WFH, WFH.

This seems to be the trickiest one for professional services firms were they get a lot of grads in.

My parents tried to sell the family home about three years ago as they were contemplating downsizing. It is bungalow in good shape about three mile from the village on a half acre site. There are probably 25 houses in that mile stretch either side of the road.

They had about 3 viewings in a year before taking it off the market. They got a different estate agent out to valuate it and give them a second opinion and he said the asking price was more than fair and it was a fine house for the money but young families don’t want to live without amenities which are not in walking distance or outside of towns anymore - literally no market for it.

5 Likes

Isn’t it in Clare?

The arm and all would be taken off you for that in Laois.

Be interesting to see what they’d get now

Yeah, but with Limerick City, Parteen, Clonlara, Sixmilebridge, Killaloe/Ballina etc 10 minutes or so in different directions it was a buyers market

And don’t forget the jewel in the crown O’briens bridge …

There’s an awful lot of 70/80/90s bungalows goin for 250/60/70 in “good” shape but as auld fashioned as fuck with bad insulation and very little light.They’d need another 100k at least to bring them into the 21th century.

8 Likes

Windows are the eyes to the house

That’s actually the area I’m interested in :eyes:

What kind of hello money you willing to hand over if I plant a seed with them?

Does anyone build normal size bungalows any more? Any houses built in the last 20 years outside towns seem to be 3,000 sq ft jobs.

1 Like

Lads don’t bother with normal houses now. It’s buy or build a mansion. Some of the lads out west who get the land for free are building islands you could build a monastery on

5 Likes

3000 sqft is the sweet spot, not too big or too small, just right.

1 Like

I think if you were to move rural you’d have to go near your home place just to know people. If you’ve no connection to a random rural area it’d be very hard to fit in. Maybe getting involved in the gaa club might do it.

As another poster said living in rural Ireland is fully different to what it was even 20 years ago. Most people are now essentially trapped in their houses, especially if it’s a busy road outside, with only a few parks or beaches usually a good drive away for amenities. The days of walking around seem gone,you never see anyone on the road anymore hitching or just walking visiting.

On the time to buy, McWilliams has taken it upon his past two podcasts, arguing people should purposely stay renting to force the price down as the market is terrible. He might have enough clout to convince a few. Still doesn’t correct the problem that houses aren’t being built.

2 Likes

While there continues to be no supply prices will stay high

For sure. Now the argument is that people aren’t selling as there aren’t viewings, and that also conversely that’s pushing up the price for those willing to sell, on virtual viewings, due to lack of demand. There was a few anecdotes of people buying houses without seeing or stepping into them which is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

89% price increase over 5 years reported on the SCR, do you own or rent?

I bought 4 years ago. Well in the black :money_mouth_face:
Its funny the auld arbitrary lines of the property market though. Houses the other side of the bridge from SCR are basically half price

2 Likes