With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Private enterprise would be a part of it. They are a part of Cherrywood development but it’s part of a bigger picture . But extend it nationally. Work out what we need, where we need it, where we are now abs where we want to be.

No short term budgetary interference in housing market but a proper ten year plan because it will take ten years to fix the problem and trying to fix it in six months with a knee jerk intervention just fucks it up.

An example of shit planning is schools/convents/playing grounds being sold to build apartments. Apartments built. People move in and now people want schools and playing grounds but who will build and provide them.

Before housing is planned and developed who looks at estimated kids in area and school requirements. Schools come years later if at all.

A reason for objections to local planning is there’s never any proper associated infrastructure linked to it.

This is a good tag line in addition to his academical position

“He was a founder member of People Before Profit but has resigned from it”

An academical position mind you.

I have to say, I do find it useful when reading book reviews in the Irish Times that they give the political background of the reviewer.

That way I know, and can thus factor into my evaluation of a piece, that the opinions I am reading come from a person who may happen to be moonlighting as the Minister of Finance, for example.

6 Likes

It’s usually the Minister for Finance or Eoin O Broin.

2 Likes

Leo trying to claim credit :roll_eyes:
There should be about forty cherry wood type projects on the go.

https://www.kfestates.ie/dundoogan-hayestown-dundalk-co-louth

Housing crisis?

200 homes and they cant sell.

I dont know what Dundalk is like so I dont know what this area is like, @caulifloweredneanderthal are you up that direction?

I have been told by two sources that Dundalk has no housing list. The Council don’t need houses so they arent in the market for these. They dont need to rent houses either, so there is no funds bidding for them as they wont have guaranteed income.

Dont know about the young or old first time buyers market, maybe they just don’t want to live in El Paso.

Neighbourhood is gone to shite since they let the Chipp lads in

Anyone living within the canals shouldn’t need a car. Congestion charges are needed in Dublin

1 Like

Anybody in the pale

Within the M50. The other cities will fall in line eventually

Those houses you put up are the finest, if a little small. They’re the cheapest on market locally (I’d say they’re approximately 6km from downtown Dundalk) but close to two decent primary schools, Supervalu, hotel, pub, GAA, etc. I actually think they might have slightly increased the prices on them but I thought a lot of the estate was sold out. There’s about four or five estates out that side (you’re practically in Blackrock) that have new houses for sale but that seems to be the only part of Dundalk where new builds are.

We hope to enter the market ourselves later this year/ early next. Will let you know how it goes

4 Likes

Sure thats like wondering why they can’t sell houses on the DMZ in Korea when they are so expensive in Seoul

2 Likes

Priced out of Darndale? Consider Dundalk.

3 Likes

The people we live next door to were living in a flat in Swords. They were expecting twins at the time and needed more space. She was already WFH and he was gone back to college so they moved here as it’s the only place they could afford rent.

A little pal of our little wan lives around the corner. His Mam is a Dub (I think she was living out Ballymun direction, so wasn’t exactly leaving somewhere upmarket) - again, knew they’d need a bit more space so ended up renting out here.

It’s actually not the worst place in the country. My expectations always were that it was a total shithole. My first time ever up here was for job interview - it was December and pissing rain. My second time was up for a medical the same day that young Japanese man was stabbed and killed randomly. First impressions weren’t great to be honest, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Beaches and the Cooleys nearby have been a big help. Unless a similar job pops up closer to home in the next 12 months, we are going to buy up here, and I’d say that’ll be us staying here for good. The little wan is enrolled in a montessori down the road with some of the young lads in the estate from September. She’s going to have a horrid Louth accent though.

18 Likes

I was looking at the car average speed for journeys over last few months. All local and light traffic. It’s about 30km/h.

Certainly would make you think.

1 Like

What speed would you travel on average when using active travel @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy? I imagine it’s not far off that

Why hasn’t anyone in the media questioned the goverments claim to have the biggest social housing budget in the history of the state. A dog with a mallet up its arse would assume that the cost of construction is far higher today compared to the 60s and 70s

Why is this housing thing such a big deal on the news this week?

Does it mean Covid is pretty much done?

Hurling is back, housing is back, the DAA are ramping up.

Covid is toast.

1 Like