With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

This couple don’t really seem to be wiling to make many sacrifices. You called @EstebanSexface a self entitled wanker earlier and he working 3 jobs to save for his house :man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

You think jumping in to buying a 30 year 400k mortgage when they have never lived together is not being willing to make sacrifices.

I would call it insanity.

One of those jobs was hustling yanks on Fota GC, it didn’t pay much.

2 Likes

You said they never lived together. I think they lived with her cousin Nuala in a grand 2 bed in Harold’s Cross she was a student and had a part time job so she wasn’t around in the evenings and headed back to mullingar at the weekends

Don’t know about others but I think you would need 2 of years living together with someone by yourselves to know whether it would work or not.

You seem to be proposing a miserable life and massive gambles for young couples to get their home.

And that’s the whole reason that it’s a huge issue.

And this is two people with fairly decent jobs too buying the lowest budget house on the market in Dublin.

Mortgages also require other costs such as life insurance and that as well. You will have your LPT, your home insurance costs etc.

Pearse is able to afford a 5 bed, and he’s only on the average industrial wage.

I lived in Ticknock 2014-2016 and was renting a 2 bed there for €1200. Today they’re €1750!

Almost 50% increase in 5 years. That’s about 8% increase year on year.

1 Like

The HAP has driven rent mental in Dublin

Separations are through the roof since covid …was talking to a solicitor who reckoned his cases were up 30% in last year…

1 Like

Another scheme by the goverment to prop up the landlord class.

1 Like

One of my best friends and his girlfriend had to move about 18 months ago. Landlord was selling or renovating the apartment or something. They need to live closiesh to the centre for work and neither drive. Months spent looking and absolutely could not find a one bedroom apartment for under 2k. Their landlord was good and gave them a few months extra, they eventually found a one bed apartment in summerhill for 1800, one of those basement ones half a level below street level. Honestly, it’s awful. And an insane price.

What you’re setting out there is completely unrealistic. That’s where things are currently, we are in a housing crisis.

OK so they need to pay 2k a month. They need to save for 4 years

I agree the housing market is in absolute shit. 100%. But just isn’t the case that some people cannot afford to rent and save even on average salaries. Shit loads of people batten down the hatches for a few years and save like fuck to buy their own property. It won’t be much fun… But loads do

1 Like

Yeah but in 4 years time the house that was 400k is now 480k

1 Like

Exactly. We’re in our third year of this cycle and should be ready in the autumn. Just suck it up and head down. Covid helped, no opportunity to holiday or pub etc. This is another reason I’d say house prices are gone crazy, lots of accidental savers coming to market.

3 Likes

Best of luck with it. Nice to see a can do attitood

2 Likes

The neighbour the property lettor, said its actually tough work letting property in limerick at the moment. The demand is mental and people are sending in begging letters pleading for the property to be let to them. Anytime they put up a property the get an avalanche of applications and phone calls and sure only wan can get it

We’d have a preference for leafy Douglas and around 3km around it. But the quality of house coming to market in our price bracket is pants. The net will have to widened. Had a drive around Glanmire the other evening, never realised how built up it is, it’s huge!

1 Like

I don’t really get your point. You seem to be saying it’s ok. I disagree.

No probs coz I havent a scooby doo what your saying here either

Willie O’Dea leads property firm in bulk buying homes row

A property company chaired by Willie O’Dea, a Fianna Fail TD, is building nearly 250 social homes on two sites in Limerick city bulk-bought by housing bodies that qualify for state funding.

The company is also involved in two other housing developments in the city, although only some units in these schemes are reserved for housing bodies.

Leo Varadkar, the tanaiste, told the Fine Gael parliamentary party last week that the government needed to re-examine the role of “approved housing bodies” in bulk-buying developments. His comments were made after Darragh O’Brien, the housing minister, moved to impose 10 per cent stamp duty on vulture fund acquisitions of housing projects.

O’Dea, a former minister for defence, is the non-executive chairman of the Formation Group, a London company that is building 110 turnkey social houses in Clonmacken, Condell Road, on the city’s northside. He said last week that his company was invited into the project as a minority partner by Osprey Construction, the company building the units. “In late December 2019 Osprey offered Formation the opportunity to become a minority shareholder in the venture, which was accepted. That is the extent of Formation plc’s involvement,” O’Dea said.

Osprey Construction is registered in the British Virgin Islands and shares cross-over directorships with the Formation Group and Formation Ireland. According to planning documents, the site’s owner is Ian Wheeler, who has an an address at Oakwood House, Hackney Road, east London — as does Formation. According to LinkedIn, Wheeler is the design manager of Formation Group.

Wheeler is also listed as the owner of a site in Bloodmill Road, Limerick, where 134 social houses are under construction. These and the Clonmacken houses are being built for Co-operative Housing Ireland, an approved body that is eligible for funding from the Department of Housing and the Housing Finance Agency.

Cluid Housing, another approved body, has confirmed that it has agreed to take 17 units for social rental by older tenants in a development by Formation at Newtown Manor.
Limerick city and county council approved the construction of 92 homes at Knockhill on the Ennis Road last December. Planning documents show that Formation was copied into emails about the project. Discussions are under way for an approved housing body to take over 27 of the houses, which are designated for social and affordable rental.

“People have accused me of profiteering from providing social housing. I’ve got an awful doing on social media over it and it’s having an awful effect on my family,” O’Dea said.

“I’m not gaining anything financially from it. All I’m getting is abuse. My only benefit from this is a small amount in directors’ fees, a few thousand euro, and that’s before tax. I’ve nothing to gain. I’m in my late sixties and my wife and I don’t have children. I have no reason to accumulate money. I haven’t even taken any of the last three Oireachtas pay increases.”

According to the Dail register of members’ interests, O’Dea holds shares in the Formation Group.

Asked if he agreed with Varadkar that block-buying by housing bodies needed to be reviewed, O’Dea said the system should be more transparent.

“In relation to Clonmacken, the planning permission was given for a private development and suddenly this was changed to social housing. The public should be able to lobby the council because it happens behind the scenes.”

He said that housing bodies had the capacity to “take a couple of hundred people” off Limerick’s housing list, which currently stands at about 3,000.

The Formation Group was founded by David and Patrick Kennedy, the London-born sons of a Limerick man. The brothers’ registered addresses are in Jersey in the Channel Islands.

Batt O’Keeffe, a former Fianna Fail TD and education minister, is also a director of the company.