With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Anseo! Except for the cars and gym membership…

Means nothing when most of the thirty something year olds can’t afford to put down roots …

The memory of the full moon parties is as good as a roof over their heads.

5 Likes

Not where they want to anyway.

I wonder will remote/hybrid working change things for people.

The other issue and it’s sort of ignored is buying in an established estate is far more appealing for people than a new estate - your money/investment is, in people’s minds anyway, better protected in an estate without social housing in it. People don’t like to dwell on that

It means older estates command a premium that the state of the house doesn’t warrant

2 Likes

Another couple I know in their 30s are after buying a 3 bed semi-D in Dundrum, fairly shit and depressing in my view, for about €550,000. It’s their first buy.

My mate (a lowly teacher) couldn’t understand how they got the money for the deposit. It’s it’s not that odd really because she’s a big firm lawyer and he’s something fairly solid in the tech world. I’d say their combined income would be way over €150,000, probably the guts of €200,000.

But all those couples are dull as shite. And they give up their whole lives working mental hours for years, decades of schooling as well, and at the end of it you get a semi-D in Dundrum. That’s who the city is for now.

3 Likes

For some people. For young families, new estates are desirable. Loads of young families. Loads of other kids.

2 Likes

When I was 9 years old my dad lost his job in Fords, 4 kids and one on the way, same happened to most of my friends, Dunlops went around the same time.
He had fuck all and few job prospects, but he had a roof over his head and an affordable mortgage.
I remember my mam saying that she doesn’t know how we could have coped if house prices/mortgages had been as large as they became.

It’s insane now, I’m alright Jack but it’s fucking awful for young couples trying to get sorted, especially in Dublin, Cork, Galway, obviously they could all buy in the country or small towns but who wants that really??

6 Likes

A big firm lawyer would have been buying a red brick in Rathmines in the 90s.

Now there are loads of people with money to bid up house prices and to compete with

I’m not sure there’s a political solution to it either

A 2nd capital

im fairly sure that cuckoo and vampire funds are not the answer

3 Likes

Very true … our parents didn’t grow up wishing to live where they ended up living but they got on with it and made a life …50 years later the areas are seen as plush south side locations but back then it was booney estates surrounded by fields in the Dublin countryside :man_shrugging:
As someone said before if you believe where you grew up will always be your home but that there’s no centre to the world , then you can live and thrive anywhere …unfortunately nowadays a lot of people can’t see past where they’re from…media doesn’t help with the message either … I remember the Irish times “ priced out of *** then try ***”… it doesn’t acknowledge that there could be other factors bar price to wanting to live somewhere else…
Gas how cities like London there’s a want for a lot of people with family to work there but to live outside it … they see nothing with doing an hour or so commute to work … we struggle with the idea of living in places 30 mins from Dublin…

3 Likes

That’s our private sector pensions !

Ah thats just bullshit. You’ll meet dull cunts of all walks of life. The simple fact is you know nothing in your 20s about what you will want in your 40s. There are some walks of life where you get paid a fortune and that won’t matter. I think those lads you’re laughing at in Dundrum will have plenty of holidays trips and all sorts of good shit going on.

Are you trying to defend accountants? Triggered much?

I wonder what effect imposing CGT on sale of family home would have on prices.

Lads need to leave the dream of living in Dublin behind.

1 Like

I’m not an accountant mate. Far from it. Just think your belief that anyone well paid is a sap nd somehow unworthy isn’t a great thesis.

I wouldn’t say they’re saps, they’re highly motivated. I find a lot of people who work 80 hours a week aren’t great craic.

It would further contract supply but probably make you feel a bit better.

2 Likes

Spot on.

Young people don’t want to put in the hard yards in their 20’s.