With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

What’s a harware?

Be interesting to see if Russian dirty money is involved in some of these Funds.

A spelling mistake

3 Likes

I wondered, but what did you mean?

One builder spending €300k a month with one on materials … all gone quiet.

2 Likes

That’s interesting, herself is in the Mortgage game & is flat out. Mental busy

Cunts the lot of them. Used Brexit and Covid to gouge like fuck the past 18 months. 4 companies control the hardware market in Ireland.

Builders I’ve been speaking to have suggested a lot of people are putting one offs on hold due to material costs.
Mortgage applications and building can be different things entirely

2 Likes

There’s no one off housing starting. Cant price them

Yeah one lad I was speaking to said the merchants he’d and his dad have dealt with for 40 years would only guarantee prices for 2 weeks. It was a year not so long ago.

A rabbit hole no less. Would be very interesting. More interesting to know if there is/was, is it be facilitated by successive goverments… i never thought of it until you pointed it out

Wtf is a ‘mom and pop’ landlord?:smile:

I totally get it in terms of shops family owned businesses etc but landlords?

1 Like

A rale Yankism.

There’s a lot of talk of mom ‘n’ pop operations since we started dealing with fellas across the pond.

Hi lads ive been thinking lately of selling my house in Kildare town and moving home to Wexford. Has anyone done something similar recently? Am i mad to be considering the below as i know that building a house is painful. Also adding a 2hr commute 2 days a week seems ok but then the cost of fuel🙈Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Some factors to consider below:

• The exact same house as ours in our estate sold for 450k (Potentially 120k more than what i bought it for).
  • I own a half acre site at home and would be looking to build a bungalow compared to the 2 story house im currently in.
  • I have recently changed jobs and from April i need to do 2 days in the office a week with the rest remotely. (2 days travelling to the office from home, i can do it in under 2 hours)
  • My wife works 4 days a week in Naas, she only works remotely 1 day a week but potentially could push for 2.

I would also be closer to family. I have 2 small kids, eldest is 2 so i suppose if i was planning on making a move id need to do it in the next year or 2 before she starts school.

Bit torn on what to do, the misses and i are discussing it at the moment and she has always wanted to buid/design her own house.

You could go as far as getting planning before any decision to move. Could cost anywhere from 5-20k for designs, refusals etc and could take up to 3 years. By the time you need to make the decision the building trade and cost of materials might have settled down. I can’t see it dropping back to pre 2019 prices ever again given the shortage of labour.

Very little value in building a house at the moment, you’d want to be very committed to the change of life that it will bring.

Edit:

Renting locally is your only chance of getting down there in the next 2 years, not a hope of planning and build in that time frame.

5 Likes

I did quite similar. Feel free to PM me

2 Likes

@Ambrose_McNulty has nailed it there with the planning regs and material costs. You’re going to have to lay out about €15k+ to get permission and that’ll be well into the future.

1 Like