With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Interest rate rises, planning delays, material price rises and labour shortages, selling prices have probably hit a ceiling of sorts.

They don’t appear to have ?

:eyes::eyes:

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2024/0710/1459098-3d-printed-homes-dundalk/?s=09

Interesting stuff here

Once again, Housing Crisis a result of Fine Gael policy.

But the grim circumstances of Nama’s birth do not give it a free pass. As the State’s finances improved and priorities changed, its approach could also have changed – or been changed for it – to reflect the pressing need to provide affordable homes.

Why this didn’t happen is a question worth answering. The most likely, and at the same time most prosaic, answer is that a policymaking apparatus that struggles with long-term planning and joined-up thinking at the best of times simply didn’t have the wherewithal to change direction.

Their idea of making homes more affordable is to give people money towards the house price. I wonder what could possibly happen. :person_shrugging:
That’s generous in the extreme with the last paragraph.
I wonder how many policy makers have a few houses rented out.

2 Likes

Are the Government terrified of house prices actually falling?

All their incentives so far have been to help people pay more.

1 Like

PS my pal wants to know is there a tax these days on his home?

Generous in the extreme is right. The real reason was because FG were against the state taking responsibility and wanted it left to “the market”.

If his home isn’t fit for habitation, at what stage is it considered a residence? He tells me it’s still quite a way off being habitable.

How many of the cunts have multiple houses?
It’s like Greenspan propping up the squid.

House prices aren’t actually that bad. They’ve only just gone over Celtic Tiger levels and incomes are higher.

The Central Bank kept a lid of them for a long time through onerous borrowing rules.

Gibberish. We had a decade of intervention and now the State are the only large player left in the market.

I’m going to guess you are swooning over Starmer’s proposals in the U.K.

1 Like

Self declaration so whenever your pal is ready

Is that open to “interpretation”

To build more homes?
How very dare he.

FG ministers for Finance and Housing during the onset, growth and onslaught of the housing crisis.

Our current situation is purely a result of FG policy.

Mate we are miles ahead of his proposals in Ireland here already.

300,000 houses in a country 12.5x times the size of Ireland.

Ireland built 33,000 houses last year.

That may be but that is not what you said.

We do not let the market do its thing.

NAMA was not the market, it was an intervention.

Add to that more onerous planning rules post crash, more onerous regulations on new builds, onerous borrowing rules etc.

The one thing the State tried with LPT and then Water Charges that would have reduced costs on new builds but was rejected by the left (and then pandered to by FF and the centre).

We demand A rated houses and that people who buy new builds front the costs of 100 years of services and water for a local area.

The introduction of rent controls and various interventions on BTR have driven external investment away from Ireland.

The market doing its own thing would have us more like a Tokyo or a Houston. Perhaps that’s not what we want, but stop talking shite on housing being some free market utopia.

The only reason that Ireland is building a lot of houses atm is because we have a very strong economy with incredible fiscal surpluses.

1 Like