Womens sports

Irish media won’t criticise women or rugby so they are not going to be critical of the women’s rugby team. Who, tbf, are doing ok at 7s which seems to be the priority

Maybe I’m being overly cynical but they get held up as an example of what Irish ladies sport should be trying to aim for. And they’re being hammered by the worst team in the competition. And meanwhile we have genuinely world class athletes who get a bit of a token gesture of coverage.

We had Sarah Lavin in the World Indoor Hurdles finals a few weeks back and the ladies 4x400m team also in the final. Sharlene Mawdsley also in the 400m final but for a dodgy DQ. Genuinely World Class athletes who probably won’t be seen on Irish TV again until the Euros in June despite various events they’ll run at (and that’s not even before we begin to consider the likes of Rhasidat or Mageean). Meanwhile we’ll see the Irish ladies rugby team likely hammered for the next month or 6 weeks with plenty of talk of bravery and heroic defeats.

12 Likes

It’s bizarre - that clown Marie Crowe devotes serious amount of air time on the 2fm evening sports show to these with no discernible achievement or improvement

RTE haven’t a clue about sports. They’re just lazy and rubby is easy to cover.

It also gets an audience, sadly. Athletics doesnt, and never has, outside the Olympics. Sadly this is how it is and always has been.

Whether they improve or achieve or not is immaterial. I think they won a grand slam in recent memory. It’s more bizarre that they continue to shower the whole thing in positivity and bravery while ignoring genuinely world class lady athletes.

A mark of someone’s standing / box office ability is usually if they’re known by a single name, usually first name but sometimes surname. Sonia. Catherina. Derval. Katie (Mc). Katie (T). Kellie. I couldn’t give you the name of a single rugby player but can reel off Rhasidat, Ciara, Sharlene, Sarah amongst others. All the above could come home from Rome in June with European medals.

2 Likes

I’d say the Ireland Italy game today had about 3000 people at it. You’ll nearly get more than that at the National Championships in Santry

Also, and someone else might confirm, but I believe the ladies games might be tied in with the men’s, but I’m open to correction on that.

Virgin Media might be about to target athletics outside the Olympics, that would be great if so

I’m not arguing in favour of Irish women’s rugby, but athletics, rightly or wrongly, doesn’t stir people outside the big championships. And we don’t back our athletes at all. I remember not long ago Thomas Barr was begging on social media for a sponsored car. It’s crazy how little we appear to rate our athletes.

Unless they medal at the Olympics they’re not cared about. If Sonia retired without an Olympic medal she’d be seen as a failure by many. We haven’t won an Olympic athletics medal since her one in 2000. Fairly sure it was John Treacy the last one before her in 1984. The bar they’re held to is ridiculous.

I’m a long time following athletics and I never remember us having a squad of ladies with the depth we have now. Virgin M are doing their bit but they just show the stock commentary and have yer man Will whathisname asking bland and awful questions. Meanwhile RTE and Virgin have a studio dissecting awful 6N coverage akin to Ger Loughnane and Joe Brolly dissecting a bad Div 4 Ladies camogie or ladies football game.

1 Like

I’m willing to give VM a chance grow what they’re at. If they get the viewing figures, you’d imagine they might add to the coverage. And we’ll no doubt bitch about who they put in the studio.

The fact that we’re putting in and excelling in relays shows the depth we have. I never thought I’d see such sprinters in Irish colours. It’s very impressive.

Actually having a studio would be a start

We were visiting family for the day that was in it & in a house early afternoon with some “can’t see it, can’t be it” girls watching the women’s rubby.

“Ah no, not at all…I’m not that pushed with the football today…it’s fine to leave the rubby on…sure the girls are watching it.”

There was a moment right after half time where the Irish were pressing for a try 7-15 down & a few of us were standing up chatting & drinking tae, half paying attention. Anyway they had a 3 v 1 sweeping left & the last defender was kinda hedging her bets between the ball carrier & the lass immediately beside her. But she was flat footed & not really much of an obstacle. Yer wan with the ball decided to take her out of the equation anyway by skipping the lass next to her & floating the pass out to the winger. Now it wasn’t a perfect pass but it was only 10 yards or so & the winger had all the time in the world. She just needed to make sure of the catch & she would have had a literal walk over the line from 5 metres out.

As the ball floated towards her, I could see it happening almost in slow motion. Oh it’s not a perfect ball, it’s dying on her a little, she just needs to take a couple of steps over take it into her chest, oh she’s kinda standing still, ah she’s not moving her feet, oh she’s going to reach out for it from where she’s standing, ah jaysus, she’s like a visually impaired person pawing the air in front of her so she doesn’t walk into a wall, ah she’s fucking knocked it on.

18 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I’m always surprised that they don’t give the hockey more live coverage than womens rugby. At least we are moderately successful at it, it is a good product to watch and it is played by way more girls than rugby.

11 Likes

A big +1 to this. Have they also qualified for the Olympics or am I mixing them up with the men?

1 Like

To be fair I think the the ladies sprinters are genuine household names at the moment, there isn’t a hope I’d be able to name one of the rugby team. The reality though is that a rugby match is 80+ mins of content, plus all the extras you can generate out of analysis of team selection, referee decisions, scores etc. A 4 x 400 relay is just 3 mins of people running as fast as they can.

1 Like

The men have made it this time. The women missed out. Loreto were playing in the EHL 8 this weekend which is the champions league of club hockey. To make the last 8 is a brilliant achievement. A tournament dominated by Dutch ,German and Spanish sides.
TNT (BT) have showed all the games since Thursday

One of the goals from the weekend

2 Likes

Men this time I think. It is widely played in girls schools and I’d imagine we could be very good at it if they put in a bit of funding.
Rugby 7s is an Olympic sport but is essentially an exhibition game. The fact that Vicki Wall will be an Olympian after a year in the sport is farcical.

2 Likes

Sur some lads took up American football a few weeks ago & are on the professional contracts now

2 Likes