Womens sports

The Irish Ladies Rugby Team have qualified for the 16 team world cup in a sport that about 8 countries take seriously

Rhasidat Adeleke ran 100m this evening in 10.84 which would be an Irish record aside from the wind speed being too strong. Given her height thereā€™s no way she should be capable of that speed. Irish record is 11.27. world record is 10.54. Olympic record is 10.62.

Which of these achievements will get more of the headlines in the Sunday meeja?

11 Likes

The Scottish ladies rubby team must be fair bad

1 Like

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

Giraffes can run fair fast.
Itā€™s true.

Poor Hugh Cahill was getting dogs abuse on twitter yesterday with demands that RTE get rid of him, apparently he was laughing away during commentary on the womenā€™s rugby and at one stage queried why anyone would pay to watch it.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a concerted effort been made to promote womenā€™s team sports in recent years, I donā€™t pay any attention to be honest but it really seems to grind peopleā€™s gears.
If Adeleke is in the mix for medals in Paris sheā€™ll be the biggest show in town, athletics has always been about the Olympics, somebody like Ray Flynn, world class in prestige events could have walked freely around any small town in Ireland

2 Likes

But thatā€™s the whole point. Sheā€™s in the top 5 in the world in her discipline and gets a few token mentions now and again

Some sports only get people to sit up and take notice around the Olympics, I think an Irish guy won a world championship in gymnastics as well yesterday

Paralympic swimming seems to be an outlier :man_shrugging:

3rd European Championship in a row. But sure Man Utd vs Burnley is more important

1 Like

You canā€™t make people like things theyā€™ve no interest in. I wouldnā€™t willingly sit watching a lad on a pommel horse for love or money.

2 Likes

I agree with your point mainly but Iā€™d say the casual sports fan is more interested in Adeleke than womens rugby at any point in the year

3 Likes

This is true. The womenā€™s rugby seems to be promoted over and above though this may just be perception. Given the amount of patronising shite that mens rubby journos shovel out on a daily basis, the womenā€™s WC is likely to be off the charts.

Outstanding character & skill by the womenā€™s rubby side to rebound from last weekā€™s hammering. The three team changes I heard leading the sports news the other day must have worked a treat. Well done to all concerned.