World Cup 2002

Ireland with Keane would have gotten to the World Cup semi final and who knows what would have happened from there.

Mick gave Keane plenty of it in 94 and left the senior players off.

Roy waited years to get him back. Great dedication

Capt Walkers Crisp Leprechaun getting sent home in disgrace really brought squad together

Came from behind in 3 games agin 3 teams ranked higher (guessing Cameroon ranked higher) doubt if would have happened with Keane roaring abuse at them all the time

2 Likes

They beat Portugal and Holland to qualify.

Ireland were ranked 14th in the world. From 2000 to 2005 while Keane was playing, they were in the top 20 with a high of 12th.

From 2006 the steady decline started, down to 60th and below, Keane retired in 2005

2 Likes

What score did they beat
Portugal?

1 - 1 both home and away.

6 Likes

Did McCarthy’s failure to spot that Spain were down to 10 men somehow justify Roy Keane’s decision to walk out on his country?

1 Like

Why do people think that we would have made a semi final or better if Keane had stayed. If we had gotten over Spain with or without him we still would have been cheated out of it by a bent ref against Korea as Spain were. I doubt having Keane would have changed that.

Spain were utterly blackguarded in that quarter final

3 Likes

He got sent home. It kinda proved his point how bad of a setup it was alright

WTF?

He left according to himself

Poor management from big mick.

Wtf ?

Very poor management.

Bizarre - it’s gone now.

The group had lost all respect for Keane after the time Gary Breen’s mate pucked the head off him

3 Likes

You can tell lads are bored out of their minds discussing Saipan again, ffs.

3 Likes

Bizarre. Very bizarre.

2 Likes

I thought that and realised I should go out and give the grass a trim with the big rain coming :sunglasses:

1 Like