World Cup 2010 - Group runner up race

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Christ some crazy calls here:

• Leaving Roy Keane out
  • Putting Kevin Doyle in

Strewth.[/quote]

eh? am I missing some posts here. doesnt nearly everyone have Keane and I cant see anyone with Doyle?

ah, I see KIBs post now. I usually just ignore his… :rolleyes:

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Christ some crazy calls here:

• Leaving Roy Keane out
  • Putting Kevin Doyle in

Strewth.[/quote]

Fooking hell I just realised KIB put Doyle in!!!

Bloody hell…

And no Moran?! KIB, I’m beginning to think you may not have seen the late 80’s and early 90’s which is fair enough if you didnt.

If you did though…

[quote=“Gman”]eh? am I missing some posts here. doesnt nearly everyone have Keane and I cant see anyone with Doyle?

ah, I see KIBs post now. I usually just ignore his… :rolleyes:[/quote]

KIB has Doyle and Shadow left out Roy.

KIB also has Stevie Ireland on the bench…

Given
Finnan Moran McGrath Irwin
Houghton Roy Brady Duff
Keane Quinn

would they handle…

Bonner
Lawrenson
Finnan McCarthy Dunne Staunton
Townsend Whelan Sheedy
Aldridge Stapleton

we has some serious operators the last 20 years or so

[quote=“myboyblue”]Fooking hell I just realised KIB put Doyle in!!!

Bloody hell…

And no Moran?! KIB, I’m beginning to think you may not have seen the late 80’s and early 90’s which is fair enough if you didnt.

If you did though…[/quote]

I only remember the end of Moran’s time to be honest. A fine fiery player but in a shite team Cunnigham was excellent for years.

I was born in 1984.

Sweet merciful Jaysus.

FFS lads it is all a matter of opinion…no such thing as a right or wrong team…Relax tis only a bit of craic :rolleyes:

[quote=“Shadow”]Given,
Irwin, Moran, McCarthy, Staunton
Houghton, McGrath, Whelan, Duff
Quinn, Aldridge

Bench : Bonner, Keane, Townsend, Keane, Stapleton
[/quote]

With lunch in my belly and the grey cells firing properly again, I’d like to review the above slightly.

====================
Irwin, Moran, McGrath, Staunton
Houghton, Brady, Whelan, Duff
Quinn, Aldridge

Bench : Bonner, Keane, Townsend, Keane, Stapleton, McCarthy, Dunne, Quinn

I know many knock McCarthy, but he was a centreback in the old mold. He probably wouldn’t be able to hack it today because he was very slow, but just like McGrath, his awareness of the game allowed him to be in the right place most of the time, obviating the need to have to run there.

Moran and McCarthy were a towering centre defence, very little got past them. McGrath was more valuable as a midfielder but like Staunton he “retired” to the back four as he got older.

Stapleton provided a great utility option. Equally as comfortable holding the line in front of the goal as trying to put one in the opposite goal.

[quote=“KIB man”]I only remember the end of Moran’s time to be honest. A fine fiery player but in a shite team Cunnigham was excellent for years.

I was born in 1984.[/quote]

I agree with you on Cunningham and if you didn’t see Moran then fair enough.

But come on - Quinn has to get the nod over Doyle.

Quinn played with Ireland for around 20 years, scored and created some vital goals in big tournaments. Doyle is a decent player but hasn’t even played in a major tournament yet.

And he’s been linked with Villa on numerous occasions. If that’s the case I want David Kelly coz he played for West Ham (last game of his first season there he threw his boots into the home crowd as an gesture of good faith, all the other players were doing it. His boots were thrown back at him)

Back to Doyler. Good player but no where near as good as Aldo. Quinn and Cassa were frustrating at times to be fair. Doyle should go on to be better than these too but Quinn and the Ice Cream man have the points on the board as the say.

Putting a mercenary like Stephen Ireland even on the bench of the greatest Irish 11 is just wrong though - opinion or no opinion.

I put Roy on the bench. Believe me, I do recognise his undoubted talent and the massive contribution he could bring to a team. But at the end of the day, as he might have said, his committment was shakey at times (injured my a*se) and he completely messed up in '02. Compared to Townsend, who had less talent to be sure, he was a poor captain/leader.

There have been many others over the years who showed flashes. Kennedy, McGoldrick, Connolly, and that forward who displaced Connolly, loved himself and then got injured forever … but not all have endured.

[quote=“Shadow”]With lunch in my belly and the grey cells firing properly again, I’d like to review the above slightly.

====================
Irwin, Moran, McGrath, Staunton
Houghton, Brady, Whelan, Duff
Quinn, Aldridge

Bench : Bonner, Keane, Townsend, Keane, Stapleton, McCarthy, Dunne, Quinn

I know many knock McCarthy, but he was a centreback in the old mold. He probably wouldn’t be able to hack it today because he was very slow, but just like McGrath, his awareness of the game allowed him to be in the right place most of the time, obviating the need to have to run there.

Moran and McCarthy were a towering centre defence, very little got past them. McGrath was more valuable as a midfielder but like Staunton he “retired” to the back four as he got older.

Stapleton provided a great utility option. Equally as comfortable holding the line in front of the goal as trying to put one in the opposite goal.[/quote]

Shadow, me auld mucker. Wrong wrong wrong. Big Jack wanted to play Moran and McCarthy as his centre pairing so he also (quite rightly) saw that McGrath could play in midfield. Paul McGrath was first and foremost a centre half, end of. When McCarthy went Alan Kernahan was brought in alongside Moran but even stubborn Jack had to concede that he was muck so McGrath went back to his natural position of centre half in time for the 94 world cup. McGrath says that with the quality of centre halves that Ireland had around then (Lawro and O’Leary included too) he was just happy to be getting a game for Ireland. During the qualifications for 88 big Jack played Lawro in midfield too, he popped up over in Glasgow with the winner v the Scots in that campaign from his midfield position.

Edit: Stan started off at left full but when Phelan came on the scene and Sheedy was getting on a bit Jack put Stan on the left wing. If anything Stan retired to the centre half position.

well that is his opinion whether you agree with it or not farmer, he is more than entitled to it…Don’t start being a soccer nazi like the way you are a music nazi:p

:rolleyes::smiley:

All he needs is a bit of encouragement…

Seriously though Ireland proved himself an extremely talented performer in his 8 games. I think he got 4 goals, crucial ones too - Wales - winner, San Marino - winner, Slovakia and Cypurs away from home.

I’ll hold my hand up and admit I completely forgot about Ronnie Whelan, the main reason being I didnt see him play that often for Ireland. I’d throw him onto the bench now so its not seen as a backtrack!

[quote=“Gman”]Given_

Irwin___McGrath___Moran___Staunton

Houghton__Whelan__Keane___Duff

Keane____Quinn__

Bench: Bonnar, O’Leary, Kelly, McAteer, Townsend, Sheedy, Aldridge[/quote]

Swap Brady for Duff and i’d go with that…

[quote=“Shadow”]I put Roy on the bench. Believe me, I do recognise his undoubted talent and the massive contribution he could bring to a team. But at the end of the day, as he might have said, his committment was shakey at times (injured my a*se) and he completely messed up in '02. Compared to Townsend, who had less talent to be sure, he was a poor captain/leader.

There have been many others over the years who showed flashes. Kennedy, McGoldrick, Connolly, and that forward who displaced Connolly, loved himself and then got injured forever … but not all have endured.[/quote]

Massive contribution he did bring to the team. Absolute heroic performances against Iceland, Cyprus, Yugoslavia, France, Portugal, Holland, Italy and many many more. Leaving Keane out is silly and the thing about faking injuries is rubbish.

Funny enough, he travels on a ROI Passport.