World Cup 2010 - Group runner up race

Right, time to have a stab at this, here’s my lot.

Bonner
Dinny McGrath Moran Stan
Houghton Whelan Roy
Chippy
Robbie Aldridge

I’ll probably get grief over Duff but he always flattered to deceive for me and most likely had his Irish career ruined by the need to play out of position to allow lesser players play in his best position. To think we’d move Duff from left wing to allow fooking Kilbane play there still gives me ulcers.

I saw a fair amount of Chippy so I’m sticking him in the hole.

Duff is the only decision I’d hesitate over. Bonner for Given is a much of a muchness for me but I’ll give Packie the nod.

Given
Kelly*-McGrath-McCarthy-Irwin
Houghon-Townsend-Keane-Duff
Keane-Quinn

Subs: Bonner, Staunton, Finnan, Whelan, Aldridge

• leeds biased

I’m a centenary of the GAA baby so missed out on Brady and memories of Italia 90 are a bit hazy.

Given
Finnan, Cunninglinguist, McGrath, Irwin
Houghton, Keane, Townsend, Duff
Keane, Doyle

Subs: Carr (was class for a few years), Dunne, Staunton, Quinn and Ireland.

Given

Lawro Moran McGrath Dinny
Houghton Roy Chippy Sheedy/Galvin/Duff
Robbie Aldo

Honourable mentions to Bonner, Stan, Townsend, Quinner, Frank. Seamus McDonagh nearly makes the team too; crap keeper but boy could he make spectacular dives. ‘Divealot’ McDonagh the auld boy used to call him. Can’t decide on the left wing, Galvin for the rolled down socks edges it.

This should so have its own thread btw…

Reckon that Dunne will be in my team in another year or two…

[quote=“Locke”]Given

Lawro Moran McGrath Dinny
Houghton Roy Chippy Sheedy/Galvin/Duff
Robbie Aldo

Honourable mentions to Bonner, Stan, Townsend, Quinner, Frank. Seamus McDonagh nearly makes the team too; crap keeper but boy could he make spectacular dives. ‘Divealot’ McDonagh the auld boy used to call him. Can’t decide on the left wing, Galvin for the rolled down socks edges it.[/quote]

I had Galvin in for a moment, used to love him.

You have Mick McCarthy in it now, Dunne is 10 times the player McCarthy ever was.

For the older lads on here…Was Jim Beglin any good as a player, an Uncle of mine maintains he could have been a superb player for Ireland only for injuries to ruin him…

Always loved the way McCarthy kicked Hagi around in 1990, he is on my team for that reason alone:D…Well that and he gives us a long throw option;)

Given_

Irwin___McGrath___Moran___Staunton

Houghton__Whelan__Keane___Duff

Keane____Quinn__

Bench: Bonnar, O’Leary, Kelly, McAteer, Townsend, Sheedy, Aldridge

He was a tidy enough full back but can’t really remember him tbh. My earliest memory of watching Ireland was against France at home; either a 3-2 win or a 3-3 draw. Platini was playing for the Frogs. So that’s either 1981 or 82. Beglin came along a couple of years later but was fooked by the time big Jack took over.

Off topic slighly but this is how it was like when Beglin was in his pomp…
Eire were cack trying to qualify for the 1986 WC in Mexico. In a group with Denmark and USSR I think. On the last day of qualification RTE showed highlights of the afternoon game played in Dublin of Ire v Denmark; 1-4 to the Danes. Frank put us one up, Vikings spanked us after that. Eoin Hand resigned after it, should have after the 84 qualification campaign only Chippy and Frank told him to stay on. RTE then showed live from Wembley Eng v Norn Iron. 0-0 that saw both teams qualify for Mexico. George Hamilton glorifying the Norn Ironish. Well he is from there.

[quote=“The Puke”]Given
Kelly*-McGrath-McCarthy-Irwin
Houghon-Townsend-Keane-Duff
Keane-Quinn

Subs: Bonner, Staunton, Finnan, Whelan, Aldridge

• leeds biased[/quote]

What age did you watch McCarthy kick lumps out of Hagi? 4 :rolleyes:

Wholeheartedly agree, I wouldnt have McCarthy anywhere near my top Irish side, some people have left out Keane, Moran Whelan to facilitated him.

NUTS!

he read about it in an encyclopedia on Romanian football…:smiley:

Have seen the match numerous times, superb performance from McCarthy…Took no prisoners, on that performance alone he is a legend in my book

You watched the 120 minutes of a 0-0 draw numerous times …

Christ some crazy calls here:

• Leaving Roy Keane out
  • Putting Kevin Doyle in

Strewth.

I have…It was often repeated on Sportfiles up to a couple of years ago

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Christ some crazy calls here:

• Leaving Roy Keane out
  • Putting Kevin Doyle in

Strewth.[/quote]

Lads, come on how many game did ye watch for Ireland and think Quinn/Aldridge/Cascarino were just awful. I like Doyle and he has put in some great performances for Ireland already.