World Cup 2030

One way of qualifying I suppose :smiley:

I always liked Sepp.

Sepp is a very decent man.

It is a long time to wait for upgrading the gaelic grounds and salthill

Castlebar surely in the running here as the second-largest “all-seater” stadium in the country…

I imagine one of the requirements for a host nation will be that FIFA and its Valued Official Corporate Partners in the “Football Family™” enjoy tax-exempt status.

I don’t see this being a problem for Ireland.

Sepp is a great man. Truly made soccer a global game

I’m open-minded enough to welcome bribes, bungs and bogus payments

Fucking hell, this’ll send @Ewan over the edge.

1 Like

John Delaney will have to stay on until 2030 now :clap:

Joint Statement on 2030 FIFA World Cup Feasibility Update

The Football Association of Ireland is issuing the following statement in conjunction with the Irish Football Association, The FA, the Football Association of Wales and the Scottish FA:

1st Mar 2021

“The football associations and government partners of the UK and Ireland are delighted that the UK government has committed to support a prospective five association bid for the 2030 FIFA World Cup. We will continue to undertake feasibility work to assess the viability of a bid before FIFA formally open the process in 2022. Staging a FIFA World Cup would provide an incredible opportunity to deliver tangible benefits for our nations. If a decision is made to bid for the event, we look forward to presenting our hosting proposals to FIFA and the wider global football community.”

The UEFA inspectors must have loved our last bid where they were taken to the Bertie Bowl, the soon to be demolished Lansdowne, and Croke Park, which at the time outlawed Soccer.

8 groups.

So you’d be looking at one for Belfast, one for Cardiff, one for Glasgow/Edinburgh, one for Dublin/Cork and then four in England. London, Manchester, Birmingham and say Liverpool they’d probably move it around more in England since they have plenty stadiums. Or would they spread it more than that I wonder. Imagine they got it and we qualified :heart_eyes:
Colombia vs South Korea in the Gaelic grounds :joy:

The Colombians buying “cappuccino’s” from a sachet in the dark under the North Stand.

2 Likes

If this were to happen would we be guaranteed a place as a host nation? ( only way we will be getting to any WC) or will the fact it would mean 5 European footballing nations guaranteed places before a qualifier scuppering it?

I hear Fitzgerald Stadium isn’t owned by the GAA

Cup o soup

Imagine the variants by then.

Who owns it then? Kerry GAA do I’m sure

I believe they do. However during the ban era there was some rumour it was a possible venue for a soccer tournament as it was outside the jurisdiction of the GAA.