World Cup 2030

The World cup will be expanded to 48 teams from 2026 so if the bid is successful all host nations could indeed qualify if Canada, the U.S and Mexico all receive automatic places in 2026.

Europe are getting very few of those spots though IIRC

Ya it’s the African and Asian federations but you would be hopeful an exemption could be made to facilitate host nations.

The group D variant

Be great to gain automatic entry to the World Cup as a host nation. We might just get in on the basis of a 48 team tournament. Apparently Uruguay are hoping to host it as well on the 100th anniversary of the first World Cup there. They will be a real threat in the hosting battle I’d imagine.

The number of teams in the World Cup is a cod.

1 Like

You’d imagine a 48 team tournament would be too much for Uruguay to host

1 Like

Should be left at 32.

I think Uruguay aim to host it with Chile and Argentina *.

• It got that piece of info from Darren Frehill on Morning Ireland at 7:35.
1 Like

The 1930 World Cup took place in Uruguay so they might be inclined to give it to them for the anniversary.

If this happens we’ll only have two stadiums involved which I’d imagine would be the Aviva and Croke Park.

One issue would be that with the intercounty season changing, the latter stages of the All Irelands would coincide with the World Cup

Jackie Cahill TD thought that Thurles would be an ideal venue with its experience of handling big match day crowds.

Japan v Croatia as a curtain raiser to the Munster final

5 Likes

The Anner and Horse and Jockey be under a small bit of pressure

Pints of cider on the Dog Track and the Koreans arriving expecting a restaurant.

4 Likes

Last dog in each race is dinner

1 Like

It won’t be croke.park

It will only be in the aviva.

I’d guess most football fans don’t see.muxh benefit in it, see the Europa.league final.and the.lack of excitement over the euros

1 Like

If it means we qualify automatically, I’d say people will get behind it.

It doesnt