World War 2

I passed the German cemetery on the way out from Cherbourg and made a mental note that I had passed it countless times and never visited and that I would give myself an extra hour on the way back and call in. You can see a lot here in half a day. Omaha Beach, the American cemetery and the visual show at Arromanches Les Bain are all worth seeing.

3 Likes

Superb museum in Bayeux and St Mere Eglise (where the American 82nd airborne dropped including some right into the town) is worth a visit too

2 Likes

And see the bayeux tapestry while you’re at it.

2 Likes

Thought that was missing

Fantastic, I need to cop on and prioritise and get to see these v important sites while I’m still healthy

By God this forum is a mine of good information

Seeing the cemeteries while there are still families who care enough to come over from the US or drive up from the arse end of Germany would give a perspective.

1 Like

No it’s in a glass case in a museum. Seen it with my own eyes.

1 Like

I suppose every Irish family has someone who fought in ww1 with the majority of them forgotten.
We have found a good number who were in the US army in ww1, one MIA, a couple wounded and died subsequently and some more who survived.

Makes you think how different things are for an 18-25 year old after a century

2 Likes

Good points

Saw a doc on History or Geographic recently about it being returned ( Nazi plunder)
Say I got my tapestries mixed up

Thanks

Had the Imperial Germans not sent those divisions to Prussia from the west in August 1914 and exposed their wing at Marne…had they not deployed the U-boats in unrestricted warfare…had they not sent Lenin to Russia…Had they not sent and later confirmed that they sent the Zimmerman telegram…

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0930/1249817-germany-nazi-trial/

New movie out this weekend Munich (based on the Chamberlain Hitler negotiations). Book was only ok but I’d say the movie will look gorgeous.

It’s in cinema this weekend and on Netflix in a couple of weeks.

Visited General Pattons grave today in the Luxembourg American Cemetery. Beautifully laid out cemetery.

13 Likes

Would there be as many cemeteries on the Eastern Front or did the Soviets not really give a shit to bother with them?

I wondered about that today funnily enough. @balbec what do you think?

I remember reading about how the Soviets gave their troops a type of necklace or locket not quite dog tags that they were meant to write their names and DOB on a piece of paper and place it inside, the lads were far to superstitious to do it but loads of them were found buried in mass graves, no fancy crosses just piled and dumped.

There’s a big Russian cemetery on the way into Wroclaw. Seen one in Szczecin. In krakow there are Russian and German ones. A small one about a mile where I used to live on the site of an old POW camp

1 Like