Worst Place in Ireland

You can trace the issues in kilkee and Kilrush to a rat infestation from limerick

Feakle, Co. Clare? Never landed myself in it, but I have found myself covered in shite in Kilfeakle, Co. Tipp (I may have been playing rugby football at the time, so I probably deserved it)

Ah here, in 6 years of this thread has no-one been to Granard, Co Longford?

Jesus, Mary and the carpenter but it’s some shithole. Nothing in it but 1970’s plastic-signed pubs with curtains constantly drawn, multiple bookmakers and the massive church at the end of the miserable main street running through the town. Possibly the only town I know with pumps still on the street.

There is a massive Pat the Baker facility behind the main street, and the whole place around there has a feeling of a large store cattle farm, such is the numeracy and propensity of large sheds surrounding the “bakery”.

The male members of the population all give you the shifty look of paedophiles, whilst the women are nowhere to be seen. Possibly indoors chanined to Belfast sinks handwashing their men’s large, piss-stained y-fronts.

Awful place…

2 Likes

Its not on the way to anywhere notable so how the hell did you end up there? An awful place. There’s a place close by that was a planned village for people working on the bog. Its a perfect square I think. Most of the families who live there are now are massively inbred*

*apparently

Arklow still tops the list for me. The inbreds, the junkies, the accent, everything

1 Like

Day out to Lullymore Discovery Park which is surprisingly decent and great for kids.

Stopped into Dowlings for a quick drink. Barman either ignored or forgot our order as he was more interested in putting bets on over the phone for lads sitting at the bar even though there is a bookies across the road. They had photos of both Kildare and Offaly Gaa teams on the walls. A town struggling for identity.

2 Likes

Tipp Town is the best town.

Shocking accent

“I’m from Arrrcklah!”

Coill Dubh

I’d say it never recovered from the Anne Lovett matter.

2 Likes

robertstown?

lullymore is fantastic spidey, enjoyed it myself, lovely countryside also
up there with Dun na Ri forest park in cavan for great days out

1 Like

Some of the posts here are very old or based on old memories which is a bit unfair. Some towns can turn themselves around with a bit of community spirit. I remember passing through Hacketstown on my way to the Tour De France many years ago. It was desperate. Passed through there again recently, grand place altogether now.

Cobh another example as a lot of old fishing port can be fair bad. Great community spirit there now. Lovely spot.

I was down in Cobh a few months ago with the missus for a weekend. Its far from the worst place I’ve been to. The whole titantic history thing and looking out to the harbour is grand. Some of the locals drinking in pubs were degenerate types alright but we had no bad experience. Tipp town as has been mentioned is a real hell hole.

i must say i found Kells to be a bit bleak
one sunday we had nothing to do and undertook a family excursion to kells as i thought it may be pretty / interesting , have a few things to see do
it was bleak, ok it was January
we want to a restaurant, i ordered roast beef that came served with mash, , and a side of boiled potatoes also arrived
heading there up thru Nobber onto Maghery - virginia and up to kingscourt is a bit isolated allright, i wouldnt be able for it, but then again on a fine summer’s day the countryside would be respledent im sure

ah they are
but a tour of Cork Harbour, head out to Spike for the day, stroll along the prom, heritage center and titanic is nice also
the views on a clear day there from up on the catherdral or east hill out the harbour are phenomenal
you’d meet lads spending hours staring out at the sea…can drive you mad

Leighlinbridge

I saw a traffic warden in Tipp town once. Must be the worst job in Ireland.

The stories about real people that boarded the titanic, and indeed other boats bound for America, are haunting. Its very sobering stuff, we really are lucky we are not living in that era where most of your family would have to leave the farm and you’d never see them again. There’s a special atmosphere down there at the harbour and in the museum.

Athy lads… my god.

1 Like