You Are Not Stuck In Covid, You Are Covid Part 6 of infinite

I presume this is how previous pandemics ended yeah?? A more transmissible strain that is far less severe taking hold?

1 Like

Dunno, would a pandemic usually burn out over 2 years? cc @Tierneevin1979

raw

Theoretically it ends when the virus runs out of people to infect, but because of the ability of the virus to mutate and the fact immunity isnā€™t lasting, it likely will never end. The most likely outcome is it becomes like the common cold and circulates every year, becoming more predictable so endemic rather than pandemic.

2 Likes

Just back from the pubā€¦Been out since 2pmā€¦

Good craic even if it is a far cry from the the halcyon days where Iā€™d be waiting outside Supermacs tonight waiting at about 3.15am for a bus which may or may not drop me homeā€¦

23 Likes

Was it an epic afternoon/evening session?

Youā€™re not winter milking then?

Nz should be able to reopen around 2053 I reckon

1 Like

Look Iā€™d like to think Iā€™ve seen and done it all in terms of drinking and have drank with anyone in this country worth drinking with in some of this countries finest establishments, so in that context it was relatively harmless but in the context of where we are today, it was a lovely experience and I enjoyed it.

@iron_mike I have the cows dried off almost a month nowā€¦At that, I have a very reliable relief milker would you believeā€¦

2 Likes

By taking on the super power of being more transmissive it has had to forgo other super powers ā€¦it seems to multiply a lot slower in the lungs and thereā€™s something about replication in cells thatā€™s weaker or something like that alsoā€¦

So the Spanish Flu Pandemic never ended?

Iā€™ll be heading for a Hugh Heinz tomorrow afternoon myself and the family,its a lovely little tradition of ours and a few other local families meet up every Christmas eve ,3 or 4 then down to the inlaws for a Christmas eve dinner and a few small ones cc @anon67715551.

5 Likes

I love that turn of phrase ā€œa few small onesā€. These ā€œsmall onesā€ generally measure from a pub triple upwards depending on whose hand is pouring.
A neighbour of ours had 4 glasses on a dresser that were used on occasions such as troublesome cows calving or the finishing of the hay. These glasses held about 3 standard measures with room for I measure of water.
It could be a tough evening but he was a hoor for potĆ©Ć©n this time of the year and you wouldnā€™t be long finding yourself in a gripe on the way home.

11 Likes

That clears that up then.

The Spanish flu pandemic (H1N1) ended in 1920 mostly because it ran out of people to infect and collective immunity levels were high. But it stayed in circulation until the 1950s (became endemic) and was replaced by a new pandemic (H2H2 or Asian flu), which in turn was replaced by H3N2 (Hong Kong flu) in the 1960s. And on and on we go.

8 Likes

Boosters are basically pointless. The pharma companies would want to be supplying them for free.

4 Likes

The Cancel Christmas clique wonā€™t like this

1 Like

can it go the other way and a worse strain happens?

We need more boosters. Every 3 months. And they need to be MANDATORY

Cā€™mere Iā€™m alright Jack

1 Like