Your Sportstar/s of 2008

Padraig Harrington has to be mine, what a man, 2 majors in the space of a few weeks is quite remarkable. A great ambassador for Irish sport. What I love most about him is his mental toughnessā€¦nothing ever phases the man. Fair play to ya paddy.

Agreed

he is a great sportsman

not sure if he is a great ambassador though- he seems pretty bland & his squeaky little voice is annoying

if i had to ma a short list:
Hurling: Eoin Larkin
Football: Sean Cavanagh
Golf: Padraig Harrington
Soccer:Christiano Ronaldo(as much as it pains me to say it), xavi and Richard Dunne(irish representative)
Rugby: Ronan O Gara and Richie McCaw
Boxing: Kenny Egan

anyone else care to add to the listā€¦

[quote=ā€œThe Pukeā€]if i had to ma a short list:
Hurling: Eoin Larkin
Football: Sean Cavanagh
Golf: Padraig Harrington
Soccer:Christiano Ronaldo(as much as it pains me to say it), xavi and Richard Dunne(irish representative)
Rugby: Ronan O Gara and Richie McCaw
Boxing: Kenny Egan

anyone else care to add to the listā€¦[/quote]

football - ronaldo & cassilas
tennis - nadal (the wimbledon final was the sporting event of the year in my humble view)
NFl - Eli Manning -I think that was the sporting play of the year when he dodged that tackle in the last 1/4

In terms of global contributions, John Mullane has probably been the sports star of the year.

What about Davy fitz and eoin kellyā€¦

Hurling: Eoin Larkin, David Oā€™Connor, Eddie Brennan.
Football: Sean Cavanagh, Brian Dooher, Ciarn Lyng.
Association Football: Aiden McGeady, Leo Messi, Gary Caldwell.
Tennis: Andy Murray.
Golf: Pdraig Harrington.
American Football: Matt Ryan (genius in the making).
Rugby Union: Nobody.
Womenā€™s Passtimes: Gemma Oā€™Connor.
Wrestling: ā€˜The Heartbreak Kidā€™ Shawn Michaels, Santino Marella.

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]Womenā€™s Passtimes: Gemma Oā€™Connor.
Wrestling: ā€˜The Heartbreak Kidā€™ Shawn Michaels, Santino Marella.[/quote]

your taking the piss including them twoā€¦neither are sportsā€¦

I canā€™t see beyond Brian Cody or Mickey Harte.

Except for Jason Ryan of course.

while im a great admirer of Cody & KK i think its remiss to praise him too highly- the lack of teams that play stick hurling,the declining numbers playing the sport & the fact thay KK only played 4 games to win the all ireand will have to stand against him

Stick hurling current malaise goes against his outstanding achievements im afraid

Samoa Joe: The Samoan Submission Machine

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]Hurling: Eoin Larkin, David Oā€™Connor, Eddie Brennan.
[/quote]

Ah cā€™mon for fuck sake. How can you say the two of them plodders are as good as Wexfords best ever centre back?

Cricket: Ishant Sharma, Sachin Tendulkar, Alex Cusack.

Eoin Larkin & Fernando Torres

Usain Bolt, Kenenisa Bekele.

ā€œThe Phenomenalā€ A.J. Styles

Michael Phelps

[quote=ā€œnorth county corncrakeā€]while im a great admirer of Cody & KK i think its remiss to praise him too highly- the lack of teams that play stick hurling,the declining numbers playing the sport & the fact thay KK only played 4 games to win the all ireand will have to stand against him

Stick hurling current malaise goes against his outstanding achievements im afraid[/quote]

Once more you display your ignorance. How would any of that stand against him in terms of the history of hurling? There has been no great change in the amount of counties playing intercounty at the highest level, if anything it has increased (Clare, Waterford).

Anyone with a modicum of knowledge about hurling agrees Cody and KK are among the greatest, if not the greatest hurling team in history.

Hurling in terminal decline - it has its problems yes, but the fact that such a localised sport can attract 82000 people to its final is extraordinary in the context of world sport.

Will we ever see such crowds at SRFC v Bohs?

I know youā€™re just wumming NCC, but I wanted to state this for the record.

Iā€™m not going to nominate too many more, as I havenā€™t been able to watch enough sport to make a considered decision, but I will nominate Lance Buddy Franklin as the AFL player of the year - 21 years old - 100 goals and a Grand Final winner.