Padraig Harrington
Usain Bolt
Sean Cavanagh

the 3 who provided the sporting highlights of 08 for me

Chris Sabin & Alex Shelley

[quote=ā€œHibernianā€]Michael Phelps
Mike Mac[/quote]

Pat Donnellan and Brian O Connell also deserve an honourable mentionā€¦

Harrington winning 2 Majors without Tiger competing is equivalent to Tipp or Cork winning Liam McCarthy without KK taking part.

Tiger Woods deserves more praise than Harrington after winning the Masters on one leg.

You the man Tiger

Tiger won the US Open carrying his injury. That boring Immelman guy from South Africa won the Masters.

Honourable mention must also go to Paul Nicholls.Total Domination of Cheltenham capped by bringing home first three in Gold cup. I know he not a sportstar himself but in the realm of sport, his achievements this year earn considerable merit. Routinely comes over here and picks off our big races for fun.

great shout hard ballsā€¦ruby walsh is also worth an honourable mentionā€¦he had a great year also

Austin Aries

If youā€™re talking horse racing lads, you canā€™t really ignore Aidan Oā€™Brien or the team in Ballydoyle. Iā€™d say heā€™ll win the Melbourne Cup in 2009 :wink:

[quote=ā€œthedancingbabyā€]Harrington winning 2 Majors without Tiger competing is equivalent to Tipp or Cork winning Liam McCarthy without KK taking part.
[/quote]

was Tiger not playing last year when Harrington won his first major?..

yeah and he finished tied 12th. I dont agree with that atal. Harrington has shown heā€™s well capable of putting it up to woods and carnoustie 2007 proved that.

agreedā€¦harrington seems to be damned if he does and damned if he doesnā€™t by alot of the irish publicā€¦he was called a bottler for years because of his record of coming secondā€¦but a lot of the times he came second he actually came from down the field on final day to come second as opposed to losing top spotā€¦

most of the Irish public dont really care for Golf so Id say its most of Irish golf fans rather than most of the Irish public

the Irish public are the best in the world for following winning teams/players regardless of the sportā€¦

while id agree with you on that I dont think there are that many of the Irish public that would switch onto watch him apart from the last day of the open/masters so they wouldnt think of him as too much of a bottler

If he wins hes hailed a hero by the irish if he comes 2nd or anywhere else hes called a bottler and overated etc etc. I think 3 majors proves himself. I wouldnt call him a bottler after winning them, he bet Garcia in a playoff in the open, won this years open a bit more comfortably and won the other one in america up against garcia again where he holed a raker of a putt to winā€¦ so i dont know how he can be called a bottler.

Fernando Torres ā€¦ And while not a sports star as such, Declan Kidney has to get an honourable mention!

who is declan kidney?