2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

You were the one bigging up the strength of club football in Tyrone and the supposed weakness of club football in Derry. Errigal Ciaran are actually the only Tyrone club to even make it to an Ulster Club Final in the 50 years of its existence. Their two winning appearances were none too recent either - 1993 & 2002. Four different Derry clubs have won the Ulster Championship since 2000.

Louth won the All Ireland last in 1957. More bluster to try and deflect from a serious clamping.

1 Like

Yes.

I’m bigging up the strength of club football in Tyrone at present

You seem to think that having one very good club reflects well on the state of club football in a county. You might think that as you are a shallow fool.

Tyrone have dominated club football at intermediate and junior level in Ulster in recent years, they have returned 7 different winners in the past 8 years in the senior championship and all have competed admirably at provincial level. It’s the greatest definition of a meritocracy as you’ll find.

1 Like

A quick search of Wikipedia reveals that Monaghan have actually done slightly better at Junior level but Tyrone are far ahead at intermediate level so fair enough.

It’s easy enough to look like a master debater when you’re a Tyrone man debating with a Derry man about the past 20 years of GAA.

1 Like

how can say any county side is a disease in ulster? sure you are always bigging up the ulster championship as the one with no soft draw, now you are coming up with diseased inter county sides with processions of club football in counties in the province

Pity you weren’t big enough to answer the question yourself

Oooft. Yet another clamping for billy bullshit :smile:

Derry have a massive disadvantage in that the city is a GAA wasteland. Their numbers are very small when you consider this . Also club hurling is relatively strong in derry.

Nah I reckon the Italian is slaying here. This is Romans’ v Carthaginians.

Some fascinating back and forths here

1 Like

Wtf are you talking about. You were lapping up sid’s tripe about junior and intermediate football. Cicero_Dandi has chickened out of answering a straightforward question about his beloved tyrone and yourself and Tassotti are mentioning his debating skills.

With regard to Cross I would generally see them as a negative to Armagh football.

While the Cross golden era did coincide with an Armagh golden era, it was important to note that Armagh were under a Cross man. Subsequent to Kernan leaving saw Cross continue a golden era as Armagh fell off the radar. There is currently big commitment issues with Cross lads for Armagh and it’s not good for the county.

Players opt out of county for Armagh to focus on winning All Ireland’s with Cross, the club Championship in turn was very uncomptetitive, there were a few decent club sides in Armagh like the two City clubs, Cullyhana etc that could put it up to Cross but invariably folded when it mattered. Now it’s coming back a bit.

South Armagh has effectively been the lifeblood of the county team for the past 15-20 years but there has been some great success in North Armagh lately. St Peters won a Hogan Cup this year and there definitely seems to be a higher yield of underage players from this area recently. I think it’s turning around, overall McGeeney has had a positive effect, it was unfortunate for Armagh that so many key players were not available this year.

I think it’s similar in Galway at present, I’d imagine Corofin getting knocked out earlier would have a huge positive effect for Galway next year as there are a number of players in that side that could no doubt improve the current team but have not been in a position to fully commit the last few years due to club duties.

think you have a few dual clubs too Ashman not just slaughtneil

of the derry all Ireland winning football team, a load of them played senior inter county hurling at some stage. Did Brolly ever puck ball at club level I wonder??

Because Derry lads have no interest in playing for Derry, it’s their problem and they don’t seem to want to fix it but it’s a shame as Derry are capable of making some great strides if they showed some unity. The players are there but there doesn’t seem to be any heart or passion to play for their county, they are far too interested in settling old scores and prying on their more successful neighbours.

He sure did .

You can answer your own loaded questions. I’m just pointing out that they bear no relevance to the debate at hand.

u have just given the ulster championship another kick! as well as derry been diseased, Armagh are playing without a heap of their best players

Kieran McKeever and Seamus and Henry Downey off the 1993 All Ireland winning team were inter-county hurlers. There could have been a few more as well. Geoffrey McGonigle a little later was an inter-county hurler as well.

Yes.

I’ve made this point numerous times and with all this at play, Ulster counties still perform far and above the levels of the other three provinces.

1 Like

decent minor team last year? got to the AIF