2020 Hurling and Football Club Championships

Happens in u21 football in Tipp all the time. A player actually didn’t play a divisional final this year in order to be a sub for a league game, a divisional final which his team lost. The rest of the county finals would be played when intercounty teams are out of the championship

Look at ballymun for example. Should be contesting all Ireland clubs but haven’t won a county since 2011 is it?

I guess they could lose a midweek round, but it seems reasonable to me given the parameters they’re working within.

Approximate schedule as follows:

Hurling:
Rnd 1 - Weekend August 2nd
Rnd 2 - midweek August 5th
Rnd 3 - Weekend August 9th
Quarter Finals August 12th (May or may not be quarter finals at all, still to be confirmed)
Semi Finals August 16th
Final August 23rd

Football:
Rnd 1 - Weekend August 30th
Rnd 2 - Midweek September 2nd
Rnd 3 - Weekend September 6th
Quarter Finals September 9th (May or may not be quarter finals at all, still to be confirmed)
Semi Finals September 13th
Finals September 20th

That’s not too bad as long as intercounty hurlers are allowed play in those football games

So if Liam McCarthy starts 17th of October you’d be fine with it been ran over a month?

Divisional Finals arent county finals. I dont recall an example of what has been said here.

1. Think they lost to St. Brigid’s in the 2013 all Ireland final. Great underachievers with the talent they have had.

Divisional finals are very important in Tipp. Basically any player that’s been on a county panel while his club have been in an u21 football final would have trained with the county in the week before the game.

I think you’d be naive enough to think if say a Wexford hurler was playing the county football final on the 20th of September that Davy would leave him off training the week before

I don’t think thats true. If there was a system whereby the impact of one on the other was minimal, no doubt players would relish togging out for their club. I’ve even heard opposite of players much preferring playing with their club than county but aren’t going to say no playing inter county

Bigger issue in this is that the Gaa has an identity crisis… It doesn’t know what it stands for anymore… You’re seeing the cracks that will only grow with the way club game is being treated and how the cash cow county game is treated… The latter is about as amateur as @myboyblue on TFK…

The timeframe mentioned was 2 days before.

What I could see happening and seems to be happening already is players from weaker counties concentrate on their club. Even for weaker counties effort involved with county team is massive.

That was happening 15 years ago… Training all year round to get shit bet out of you most weeks and then in summer max of two games… All for the hope of swapping jerseys with a star of game and wearing your free county polo shirt to the local disco…you’d want your head examined to stay playing for that…

:heart_eyes:

Them were the days.

2 Likes

A few vouchers for some free drink too…

And free into the niteclub. The train to Coppers the next day for a day on it.

Ah lads. Bring them back Bring them fucking back.

There are also a few lads in weaker counties who stay away from county squads because it improves their reputation. I see this in Antrim hurling, lads of dubious character who love telling everyone that they were called into the county panel but won’t go. They play for their club, do fairly well and are described as brilliant hurlers. The truth is if they tried intercounty hurling they would be shown up for the mediocre talent they are and described as useless like the lads in there already.
And then there are lads in bigger clubs who come under pressure from the club manager not to join the county panel because it will interfere with their own ambitions to win a club All-Ireland.

5 Likes

For sure,how many hurlers in Galway almost happy with the all Ireland minor medal,when it comes to bursting themselves for senior just not bothered. But then there’s more to life,any lad in his twenties who doesn’t travel and enjoy life will regret it I think.

Not sure why anyone in Leinster outsiders Dublin would concentrate on county football. They haven’t a hope.

2 Likes

Pull on the county jersey should always be a thing.
It’s the pseudo prefessional level it’s got to is the problem.
You should have to fail a beep test to play county.

Pulling with the county jersey will always be a thing don’t worry