2020 Hurling and Football Club Championships

If so I’m owed a few quid :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Is Effin Eddie still alive?

It’s fine in theory. We had two of our own back over the seniors this year, they went to freshen things up, the year didn’t go well, the older players orchestrated a bit of a coup, so now that’s two good volunteers gone and nobody else wants anything to do with the senior job :man_shrugging:t2:

I’d say that’s Kerry hurling. Causeway and Crotta by the looks of it

Do you think the lad in your avatar is managing wexford for free?

At last, someone in Dublin acknowledging that their clubs there are the equivalent of full county set ups elsewhere.

3 Likes

Also a fair point. Its hard to get the balance right

Managing and coaching your own club senior team is nothing more than hardship from what I can gather.

There are two excellent coaches involved in the club im with here in Dublin and both took over the senior team here at different occasions in the last few years when the paid outside men left them in the lurch and both threw their hat at it after a year with frustration. Both went back to Dublin development squad coaching and club underage.

3 Likes

In what sense?

Mainly managing players especially duel players and egos.

Squad is lopsided at the best of times and a few of the more talented hurlers would have suspect enough attitudes but there wouldn’t be the depth of talent to try a high risk move like dropping one or a few of these lads to lay down a marker.

Realistically they were trying to get/keep a club to Senior A/Division one level with a panel of 25+ lads but only a dozen at best of the panel were up to that level

I think Castleknock should be applauded here. A huge amount of money is wasted by clubs and counties around the country on paid coaches. A lot of these coaches are absolute chancers and the money wasted on them could be much better utilised elsewhere.

1 Like

Fair play to them, thats great, but not sure why it is making national news that they are wanting to have this fresh approach to volunteer coaches. Plenty of clubs have lots of volunteer coaches over adult teams. I dont disagree with your point, but I just dont get the need to have this being some sort of revolutionary idea and it making headlines.

That is an issue to take up with the absolute ham that is John Fogarty who wrote the article rather than Castleknock gaa, no?

I’m fairly sure I remember Dara O’Cinneide saying that An Gaeltacht refuse to have anyone from outside the club manage them, it’s all looked after inside the club. They would have a better level of expertise to draw on than most though.

1 Like

That’s the ideal scenario but a lot of other clubs dotted around the Country tend to have blow ins joining clubs and they always see fault within in my experience.

No matter who is in charge if a panel of players haven’t the hunger and drive you can forget about it. Impossible to get the balance right.

As I’ve said on many occasions, enjoy the good days cos they never last.

1 Like

If you are going for an outsider, you have to really do your research on them and make sure they’re up to the mark. Pay top dollar then if you can afford it. Better off paying 200 a night for a good guy than 100 for a bluffer.

If you can’t get a good outsider then you should stay local and let it be.

A bad outsider can destroy a club on the field and off the field.

You’ll often see some groups of players get a better kick from a decent outsider than they would from a similar standard local. Outsider generally gets a fairer crack of the whip cause there’s no baggage

5 Likes

But what amuses me in a fairly small county like Limerick is clubs are paying big money to an outsider from one club while a fella from there own club is off getting money from a different club.

2 Likes

A beautiful club ground below. Had a puck around there last year