2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

A long period of the 2nd half seemed to drift by with the score 0-10 to 0-5. Had Dublin tagged on another couple of points at that stage I think the game would have drifted into irrelevance and it would have been one of the most underwhelming semi-finals in recent years. Think it was a Hennelly 45ā€™ and Jordan Flynn point that brought it back to 10-7 and suddenly a game which appeared to be a damp squib was alive again. I was very surprised at Dublinā€™s lack of composure. Brian Fentonā€™s attempted Hollywood pass in extra-time that was comfortably intercepted probably the prime example of that.

I was also doubtful that this Mayo team were in the same league as the 2012-2017 side but thankfully they didnā€™t need to be as Dublin floundered completely from the 51st minute onwards. They mixed some amount of harmless wides in there too, AOS in the 1st half and James Carr when the game was in the melting pot probably the prime examples of that.

Iā€™m in some high after that game last night.

1 Like

1 Like

Dubs being out will focus tyrone minds on making sure they play the semi Iā€™d say

1 Like

There was a couple but your man managing to keep the ball in from the 45 which Kevin Mc converted surely was when the tide turned?

1 Like

I canā€™t figure out for the life of me how man bun got man of the match.

Kilkenny had him on toast in the first half.

Keegan was playing them on his own when they were in shit

1 Like

Sorry if mentioned already but when was the last time Mayo beat Kerry in the championship? Did they do it in the last 10 years or am I imagining things?

Yes that was another.

1 Like

They beat them in a semi final a few years back, within the last four or five years IIRC

1 Like

2017 - AI Semi Final Replay

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0826/900108-kerry-v-mayo/

1 Like

Thanks lads

Keegan was by far man of the match

Biggest issue here was the play onā€¦ Player was fkd. Wouldnt blame him so much for the bad call on a red card, looked OK in real time even on replays IMO and his linesman was in pole position to judge it too.

There was a few worse decisions than that

7 Likes

Jesus, that was epic stuff. Iā€™m up in Westport for a few days and a serious buzz around the place.

The collective meltdown of the Dubs was something to behold. Itā€™s amazing what a change of manager can do. There is no way any of those mistakes and disciplinary issues happen en masse under Gavin. Youā€™ll always have the occasional breakdown but last night was something different.

Was it Basquel that was black carded for the tackle to the head, right in front of the ref, under an attacking high ball in for Dublin? Like that was one of the most idiotic things Iā€™ve seen on a field.

4 Likes

Surely the way small hangs back and lines lads up and just waits for them to be at their most open before pummelling them is a red card ? Keaney tackle in county final and yesterday being examples? Is there anything in rules that states you have to play ball and not the man? He only had eyes for McLaughlin a long way out yesterday

2 Likes

No complaints about the decision. My point was more that despite the fact that the win was comfortable in the end and Dublin collapsed it was a tight run thing

Word is that he has a fractured jaw, wonā€™t be available for the final if thatā€™s the case.

1 Like

Is it true they got to retake because Mayo had 16 men on the field? Fairly outrageous if true but nobody will care because it was the Dubs on the receiving end

1 Like

Oh come off it. Two reds a black in normal time Dublin got away with, to even mention a retaken free given the extent of the decisions Dublin got in their favour is mad stuff.