2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Basquel obstructed Mayo lads run ā€¦McCarthy got done for exact same thing v mayo on Andy Moran under Gavin . 2013 and 2017 they were literally jumping on Mayo lads at end , philly eye gouge on donaghy in 2015 late on , Cooper red card on Clifford in 2019ā€¦ Cillian o Connor had a couple of opportunities late on in finals from silly frees that he could have nailed bit didnā€™t ā€¦ Small has got the line in 2 or 3 finals ā€¦dubs have always played on edgeā€¦itā€™s only when dubs lose itā€™s an issue. Think itā€™s very unfair not suggest itā€™s just dessies reign

3 Likes

Fair play. Iā€™ve mentioned this before and got lambasted for it. cc @Juhniallio

Has Dessie resigned yet?

Serious camps win All Irelandā€™s. Thatā€™s pretty much the bottom line and how they should be judged. Theyā€™ve got a good shot now to finally get over the line

It seems to be a narrative going round . Itā€™s very unfairā€¦ Dublin were a boxer on the ropes all summer , mayos madness and energy finished them off , thatā€™s all there is to it ā€¦Iā€™m just glad it wasnā€™t Kerry on final as they would have hammered them i thinkā€¦

5 Likes

You think Iā€™m arguing decisions Iā€™m really not.

That was McCarthy. Looked like he just lost it completely

2 Likes

Thinking about the game yesterday:

• Firstly, I thought Mayo defended really well. Now I know Dublin were pathetic but even in the first half they kept Dublin to only 10 points and no big goal chances, which is pretty good. If youā€™d said at the start that Dublin would only score 20 points in the whole 70 minutes Mayo might have taken that.

• Any of the Mayo full back line could have been MOTM but Lee Keegan caught a lot of high ball.

• Mayo should have beaten them by 3 to 5 in ordinary time only for the wides they hit

• Looking back at the Small / McLoughlin incident, itā€™s a bad referring mistake but I guess Lane just thought it was shoulder to shoulder. But itā€™s very odd because I was sitting miles away and every single person immediately said it was a shoulder to the face and a red card. Most people presumed that heā€™d blown for it. You could tell by the way McLoughlin plants down face first into the ground that it was a knockout. Even if he thought it was shoulder to shoulder should Lane not have blown for the knockout injury? Itā€™s not the worst foul Iā€™ve ever seen but it was a very odd incident.

• it happened at a time when play was getting very intense and Dublin couldnā€™t cope with it in a disciplined manner. Mayo showed great composure and discipline at that point because if Monaghan were getting rid by a referee like that they would disintegrate into moaning, retaliation and a general lack of focus.

• Mayo struggled to break through the Dublin midfield / half-back line and looked like they didnā€™t really have a plan for that, especially in the 1st half. Actually very similar to Monaghan against Tyrone. Modern gaelic football is so psychological. You come up against a wall and you have to just start going for it.

• I think the Kerry attack is very different to the Dublin attack. Dublin deliberately didnā€™t run at Mayo, just wanted to keep it and pass laterally. From what little Iā€™ve seen of Kerry the main thrust of their attack was the 2nd Clifford lad running strongly through the middle. Mayo werenā€™t tested like that at all yesterday.

Still buzzing after that.

5 Likes

All ye kerry lads are thrilled

5 Likes

Until the backward hand pass is banned or restricted the sport will be a eyesore

Despite the result & the excitement the game wasnā€™t much of a spectacle

Iā€™d say actual Kerry people are disgusted. They know they would have stuffed this Dublin team but didnā€™t get the chance to be the history makers. That honour falls to Mayo, as is appropriate, right and proper. Some contrarians questioned whether Dublin v Mayo was a rivalry at all. They got their answer yesterday. Itā€™s the greatest rivalry the game has seen. While yesterdayā€™s game was miles off the standard of 2017, it once again delivered an earth shattering collision that will be remembered forever.

22 Likes

Huge loss.

Obviously Hession will come in and was good to see Harrison back but they really will miss his drive from the half back line.

Iā€™d say it will probably be Mullin back in and Hession possibly for S Coen/Plunkett.

Any chance Doherty could feature off the bench?

I donā€™t think that is true - if you ban backward hand pass then teams will just retreat more and more.

Mayo showed that if a team (fit and strong enough) pushes up on Dublin then the keep ball game comes unstuck. It was only a matter of time and most of us predicted it would lead to Dubs downfall

1 Like

I donā€™t think so, heā€™s had another set back unfortunately

1 Like

You could see them slipping from the process in the Leinster games, the hail mary shots from outside the D a la Paul Flynn and Dermo were back in a big way. That said Mayo scored a good few from that range yesterday.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the way you want to deliver a showlder

It is but doesnā€™t mean itā€™s legal !

Iā€™m shocked people arenā€™t giving Mayo more of a chance in the final. Itā€™s a long time since Kerry have gone into that sort of battle against a top side. They are coming into this final very cold.

Iā€™m convinced theyā€™ve a glass jaw. The defeat to cork last year and throwing away the 2019 final still linger in my mind.

I think if Mayo get to that level that they were at in the second half Kerry wonā€™t live with them.

3 Likes

You mentioned it to support an argument the game should have closer, itā€™s laughable in the context of what Dublin got away with.

Even the tog shitting in the 2018 super eights was embarrassing.