2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Rock, McCarthy and Small x2 would have come through either way.

Philly’s medals are probably down to Paddy Christie alright.

We need more funding.

2 Likes

What’s happened to Darren Gavin? Played well in the league in 2019 but hasn’t featured since. Big lanky midfielder who looked to have serious scope for improvement.

Agree with that. Ted Furman is one of Paddy’s protĂ©gĂ©s as well, I think.

Davey Byrne too was from the flats.

Its the only logical conclusion one can come to.

He carried an injury into the championship and never got right. Was good at Sigerson and that got him noticed. The thinking was once he’d filled out he’d be a big addition but has totally drifted away

He wasn’t up to it to be honest. Same as trying Craig Dias at the start of last years league, playing well at club level but was whipped at half time in his return.

Nobody coming through is ever inevitable. It depends on a load of factors. If lads are playing on shit teams growing up there’s a good chance they’ll walk away or get disheartened and not develop in the same way. None of the 80s and 90s Dublin players from Tallaght or Finglas produced any offspring that went on to play for Dublin. Mick Deegan’s young fella was the closest but he grew up in Ashbourne and played for them before moving to Na Fianna.

Outside of Colaiste Eoin, Dublin schools do next to nothing in Leinster Colleges. In Cork, schools were/are considered hugely important to development of players. It allows those lads from smaller clubs to get noticed and fills a very inportant gap between development squads and intercounty.

3 Likes

One All Ireland Minor Football title since 1984 is absolutely nuts too.

The last decade of success at Senior has been some freak when you think about it.

2 Likes

If they do fall away for a couple of years, and personally I think it’s a big if, I hope the Ewan mackenna ‘theres no point in even playing the games’ crew get the ridicule they deserve. Ewan’s own county Kildare are a disgrace there’s no reason mayo should be any better than them.

9 Likes

Obviously they’ve done things right but Kerry were weak at times and outside of Mayo nearly everybody else was a complete mess. This helps when creating a dynasty.

Think Paul Curran has a young lad coming through who’s meant to be handy. @Spidey might know

Dublin have generally done well at under 21 level over the last 10-12 years. It’s where they’ve stolen a march on other counties. But neither is under 21 level a guarantee of senior success as Galway have found out.

Never mind the children of immigrants how many players on the Dublin panel have both parents from Dublin? Except the ones who’s fathers played for Dublin (who I assume had parents from the country themselves). They are actually picking almost exclusively from a very limited demographic

The standard of Dublin club football would be pretty high too which is also a big help in terms of developing the younger talent.

4 Likes

Kerry completely lost the plot overthinking everything after 2011.

I was listening to a Tipp v Kerry game on Radio Kerry in 2016 and they spent the whole game talking about Dublin Dublin Dublin and how they were going to figure out how to beat them.

Kevin McMenamen destroyed the Kerry psyche.

Also they paid Dublin way too much respect, particularly Fenton who they became obsessed with.

1 Like

colaiste Eoin would probably have been only dublin school similar to a Colman’s fermoy or a flannans with lads coming from all over to go there 
normally in Dublin you go to local school

1 Like

Luke yeah. Played all the way up with westmanstown Gaels who are a juvenile club. Played hurling with us for a bit as they had no hurling there at juvenile. Has now transferred to Lucan as far as I know. Supposed to be decent enough.

1 Like