2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

It’s time Dublin stopped the failed experiment with hurling. We’re going up against counties whose kids have twice as much football played by age 18

1 Like

Mayo try harder.

Joe Brolly is another one who should be laughed out of town at this stage. Eulogising Dublin for a decade calling Saturday’s game “an inevitable Dublin victory” and then turning around and calling Dublin “a tyranny which must never be repeated”.

Didn’t Joe write the requiem for Derry football when Rory Gallagher was appointed? He got that one a bit wrong too. Maybe if Gallagher had been appointed five or six years ago Derry would have been up there with Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan rather than trying to wring some inter county success out of lads the wrong side of 30 with a great future behind them.

2 Likes

Fitzmaurice obsessed over every Dublin player and spent the off season looking for Kerry players to match up to individual Dublin players instead of just concentrating on Kerry’s style

1 Like

I know that. It’s a disadvantage to development of young players by not having a handful of schools competing at the highest level. If a south dublin school really went for it, and was supported by county board (which they would) they could be a de facto centre of excellence.

1 Like

The clubs don’t want that though. They want their players as their players I think.

Agreed …Probably need it on the north side at this stage …

1 Like

It works for Colaiste Eoin, and it works all over the country. The impact on clubs would be minimum.

If players are on dev/county squads, forget about seeing them at club level. I believe Crokes called the county boards bluff recently in refusing to play matches if their lads weren’t available - I think they had 6 on the u15 or u16 development squad.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t disagree - a school like Benildus has a large number of Crokes kids fed in from Lauences. National school where Crokes do lots of work to get kids playing - they would have won Leinster a few years back but it’s often down to the influence of a specific teacher who drives it on as best he can

1 Like

That’s become the real issue. Making a development squad is a bigger prize than winning a county championship with the club nearly.

1 Like

Imagine if all those crokes lads were in the same place. We have a tonne of teachers with serious GAA qualifications in our place but tradition stops us from giving it a right go.

1 Like

Lads, the last thing anyone wants is Dublin GAA thriving. We’ve seen the impact of it in the past 7/8 years.

Once Dublin get their house in order, there’s no competition as the natural resources so outweigh any other single county. Dublin operating at about 20% of the efficiency of Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal etc is the only way we get a competitive Championship.

4 Likes

What’s the numbers like for a lad on u15/16 development squad still being involved by u20? Does a player from outside a development squad who blossoms at 18/19 have any chance at getting on u20 squad ?

Mcstay said last night that 100pc of the mayo panel came through the development system

1 Like

It’s tough enough if it’s the same manager throughout from 15 - minor - u20. But using my own club as an example, I would think there are better lads outside the county panel than the ones we have on it but are still there by virtue of the fact the county manager knows them for the last few years.

3 Likes

Not sure on that but I’ve seen young lads devastated when they are dropped from development squads and some pack it in and lose interest altogether. Parents have a lot to answer for as well.

3 Likes

Parents are the worst part of it.

5 Likes

With rural GAA schools and rugby everywhere there has been an overlap between sporting success and academic success. The likes of St. Jarlath’s and St. Flannan’s, St. Colman’s Newry and St. Pat’s Maghera were seen as the schools to go to in every sense. In Dublin, and I think to an extent in Cork and Limerick too, your traditional GAA orientated CBS schools have come to be seen as academic backwaters. Colaiste Eoin is a very academically successful school and one of the few non fee paying schools in Dublin to be seen as being on a par academically with the fee paying rugby schools.

I find it interesting that Cork city hasn’t won a Harty Cup since 1994 but I see that CBC, more traditionally known as a rugby school, has contested the last two finals. Are Scoil Ris in Limerick would strike me as a sort of equivalent to Colaiste Eoin.

But North Mon and Limerick CBS fell off a cliff after the early 90s while St. Finbarr’s no longer exists. These were the traditional powerhouses of the competition. This would strike me as sociological phenomenon connected to the rise of fee paying schools.

I find it hard to foresee a situation where Blackrock College or Belvedere etc. ever take GAA seriously. Rugby is too entrenched.

4 Likes

Must be an awful lot of politics too …smaller clubs looking for representation…”this lad won’t have a chance if he’s left playing just at that level with the club “ etc.

1 Like