2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

I’d say your heart would be broken if you are managing or involved with a development squad in Dublin. I’d know of parents who call to ask why their son was not playing or playing a position etc

It’s bizarre as it’s not a professional sport so it’s not like playing for Dublin leads one to a life of riches. But I can see from a long way out now that playing for Dublin drives the parents.

1 Like

Well at least it’s not Deegan I suppose.

After Offaly beat Dublin in the u20 this year, you had a few parents of extended and previous panel members tweeting underneath the result about how their Johnny was told to go away and put on bulk/practice on his weaker side but heard nothing back and now we have this embarrassing result :joy::joy:

2 Likes

This is the bit I don’t understand about the GAA in general…

To have a son involved with a Dublin team must have a serious ‘status’ value about it.

1 Like

You’d want to be pretty empty to give it such importance …

1 Like

Other amateur sports are less all consuming in the triumvirate of time, commitment and public profile I reckon.

I saw a bit of second half of yesterday’s game …that Offaly team were a real throwback team , some lovely forwards ,moved the ball really fast.

2 Likes

An extended relation of mine who had a high falutin’ job and lived out Blackrock way used to tell a story about a guy he worked with who when he would have a few vinos in him at social occasions would shout “My son will play rugby for Ireland!”

His son didn’t play rugby for Ireland.

2 Likes

The Dubs are circling the wagons.

Should they put Pillar back in charge?

Immigrants are probably always going to be more drawn to international sports anyway

1 Like

Italian Australians love their Aussie Rules.

Ah sorry, I thought he meant immigrants from other counties rather than abroad.

Generally they will play what all the other kids are playing.

In rural or more depopulated areas there is decent involvement in GAA.

In urban areas less so.

2 Likes

Mayo fans are so cross with McStay saying on commentary it wasn’t a foul that you’d swear McStay went down from the stands with a hammer and smashed the lads jaw himself :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

McStay’s a wanker though so he’s fair game. It was a shocker of a challenge. At every part of it McLoughlin was facing Small front on but Small turned the shoulder and buried him. It was a nasty hit and it was obvious on first viewing.

McStay is the ultimate Uncle Tom.

3 Likes

Was there any truth in those what’s app rumours that portrayed another reason why he may have departed? In fairness he had no more worlds left to conquer after a 5 in a row.

TBH I still don’t think it was deliberate.

I couldn’t be arsed writing 400 posts defending that position, but for me the video below captures it best, (I know the tweet itself disagrees with me) he lines him up alright but they are side to side and a shoulder is on, he does actually hit him partly on the shoulder but McLaughlin in the meantime is turning into him completely unaware small is coming and he ends up gets an unmerciful wallop of the top of Smalls shoulder into the jaw.
But there is no way John Small could have known that was where his head would be when he started the tackle. He went in to do him no doubt, but I don’t believe he had any intention to hit him like it turned out.

The attempted character assassination of the chap is a bit much. The picture going around of his elbow up in the air which is clearly a still of after the tackle, is cuntish.

It was a foul, as the tackle was mistimed as it turned out, which is the responsibility of the tackler, it was maybe even a red card, but the shoulder was on when he went for it, and unless you want to ban the shoulder completely then you are going to have to expect some of them to be slighlty mistimed.

I also completely reject the idea that is was so blatantly obvious that the ref should definitely have given him a red. On first viewing I didn’t even think it a free.

7 Likes

Not unlike when Tyrone’s Morgan broke Paddy Andrew’s jaw with a shoulder and got a yellow card.

@Cicero_Dandi gave the Tyrone man the benefit of the doubt - it would be churlish to suggest any bias

1 Like