2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

He knows his football.

2 Likes

The next one we win will be sweeter for all the slings and arrows being thrown now. We’d grown soft and benign towards other counties.

In the Run for One.

2 Likes

The Principal at the time, Jordan (his son was an excellent hurler with Blarney and played with Cork underage) was the man behind it. Basically fee paying schools are a numbers game. He seen an opening with demise of Farna and the Mon.

They offer hurling scholarships to attract best hurlers in Cork (and the odd one from Lismore).

Many schools hate their MO (understandably). However, a city school that could attract best talent was badly needed. Plus, lads get all the advantages of a fee paying school.

They would have won the Harty last year but for covid. They had a serious team.

They have also recruited hurling teachers aswell. They have a very well regarded hurling coach from wexford on their staff who I know well. Harnedy teaches there aswell. Wall from Glen key player and O Mahony of course.

1 Like

:joy::joy: Some pile of bollix of an article

1 Like

V interesting thanks.

1 Like

Do they bring in outside coaches? It’s a very interesting experiment.
The integration of so many county hurlers in schools is having a fairly dramatic influence on the way the teams are prepared as far as I can see looking from the outside in.

2 Likes

No outside coaches. Same with main hurling schools. All staff driven.

Outside coaches are increasingly making themselves available as it helps their profile. If expertise exists withing staff, you are better letting staff get on with it. They know the kids best, what personal stuff may be going on etc.

Outside coaches only have self interest at heart. Can be a disaster in some cases.

3 Likes

A noble post and I’m prepared to give Small the benefit of the doubt that he was merely reckless and not deliberate. You have to remember the intensity if the game at that point.

But every single person in the ground at that point thought it was a foul. Even the Dubs fans could see McLoughlin was hurt. I was standing at the other end of the ground and I actually thought the game had been stopped just because that’s what you expected to happen.

Even if you didn’t think it was a foul the game should have been immediately stopped for McLoughlin’s faceplant. He had obviously been knocked out and was in danger. There was no alternative interpretation of what had just happened. I find Lane’s handling of the incident inexplicable.

To give an historical example, when Stephen Gollogy gave the greatest fair shoulder that I have ever seen to Mark McHugh in the 2013 Ulster Final the came with such a velocity that their heads still clashed over their shoulders and poor Mark was knocked out and burst his ear drum. Even though it wasn’t a foul the referee immediately blew to stop the match because it was obvious that the player was in danger and needed immediate attention. McLoughlin could easily have damaged his neck when he face planted and the game should not have been allowed to continue. The player’s welfare should have been paramount.

4 Likes

Except @cheasty, of course.

It was bizarre really. Why he didn’t err on the side of caution :man_shrugging:t2:

Dublin needed that defeat more than anyone. It genuinely will MEAN MORE to everyone to win it the next time. Five was the right number to stop after. Last year’s all Ireland was a complete waste of time and actually devalued the other wins.

Except McStay, and the ref. :smiley:

Agree 100%. Poor lad was sparked out. Lane won’t be getting a big game for a long time.

Mike Quirke reckoned that the poor refereeing decisions actually helped Mayo because it made them angry. Ye are lucky to be shot of that chap @myboyblue

Aside from that incident which I give Lane a pass on as stated in my post. I thought there were several incidents where Dubs could and should have gotten black cards before he actually handed them out. They’d lost the heads altogether. He bottled a lot of the big calls

3 Likes

Paddy smalls fist to the neck was the worst belt of the match.

1 Like

He was quite mean-spirited towards Mayo last year although I’d say he was somewhat tongue in cheek.
He’d fit in well here, his views on the Ulster championship would be interesting.

I’d say to be a top surgeon you can’t give a fuck

1 Like

You’d have much more respect for the likes of Rochestown who got to a harty final without the need of giving out twenty hurling scholarships.

Schools like CBC and ASR are the new Flannans/Colman’s with their policy of buying success.

Id admire schools like Tulla, Doon and Templemore who play the lads in their district win, lose or draw.

3 Likes

Flannans won the last Harty cup with just Clare players, I’d imagine all of them are from it’s catchment.

1 Like

I was referring to previous flannans sides littered with borders from north Tipp and Limerick.

The fact that side was all Clare was great. They beat a good Tulla team in the quarter final too.

1 Like

Ok guys, can you stop talking about kids hurling

4 Likes

Brian Howard was blackguarded alright. He was playing very well and dominating the ball at midfield and that bad hit took him out of the game. It was the turning point for me as Howard, Fenton McCarthy and Small were completely dominating the middle third at that time.

1 Like