2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Kerry seem from my memory to lose in croke park every time they’re in a tight hard fought game. 2000 is the last one I can remember v Armagh and Galway.

Eamo Fitz and Mike Quirke will lead em to the promised land.

Armagh '06
Monaghan '07 and '08
Dublin '07
Cork '08 and '09
Donegal '14
Tyrone '15
Tyrone '19

Drew twice with Mayo winning one replay and losing the other. Drew with Donegal in '19.

My money would be that they will win one of the next two All-Ireland finals by 10 points plus.

2 Likes

Watched the regular time game back there this evening for the first time.

Few points.

Kerry only hit 0-04 of 0-12 from play after the first McKenna goal. The others were 6 frees, 1 45 and 1 mark. Three of those points from play were pretty much all from a direct result from a Niall Morgan mistake - one was a free he hit straight down the throat of David Moran who took a quick free and found Clifford who pointed. The other was a kickout that went to a Kerry man who popped the ball to Paudie Clifford who pointed and the last one was one he kicked over the sideline and Kerry scored after taking a quick sideline where they actually had a goal opening but a good interception from Morgan saw O’Sullivan point.

Basically Kerry were utterly rudderless from open play, it had to be a bish bash bosh point or a handy free from them to score. If Tyrone shut down the initial run from Kerry then they didn’t know what to do, they didn’t seem to either know how to or want to create chances for scoring points. There were no players coming off the loop for a point other than Clifford, it was all goals they were going for and running like headless chickens. The more the game went on the more and more desperate they got flinging themselves to ground, the last two frees they got at the end of regular time were fairly ridiculous awards.

Tyrone were much more assured at creating chances but had a few really bad misses.

Hampsey was absolutely unreal watching back, he was a great attacking outlet - it was notable the Kerry forward didn’t track back the Tyrone defenders when they came forward, they seemed to funnel back themselves but they didn’t really know what role they were doing.

Tyrone had a lot of bad wides near the end of the first half and into the second half. I think Kerry only actually had 3 wides from the McKenna goal to the end of regulation time.

Part of the reason I think Kerry tired so badly was they tried to press the Tyrone kickout all day long, that takes a lot out of you and while they did well on it they generally struggled to create chances, they were very blunt and one dimensional.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it pal

1 Like

Decision to be made now by the GAA.

50% capacity if not checking vaccine certs.

75% if only allowing those with a valid vaccine cert to attend.

Valid
Valid
Valid!

Zen wins!

A victory for us all

Currently, a crowd of 40,000 is allowed attend the 11 September decider between Tyrone and Mayo at Croke Park, with the stadium’s official capacity set at 82,300. This would mean that a crowd of just over 60,000 could potentially be allowed into the game.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland Minister Donnelly appeared to rule out any such move.

“I’d say it’s unlikely,” he said.

"What we had is agreement on a 50% capacity, so about 40,000 people be they vaccinated or unvaccinated. Sixty thousand people fully vaccinated in my view is probably a lower risk than 40,000 people.

"Remember 90% of the adult population is already vaccinated. So if you had an adult population in Croke Park regardless the vast, vast majority in there are fully vaccinated anyway.

"I was talking to Minister Jack Chambers about it and they spend a lot of time working with the sports organisations on whether or not the events themselves are causing outbreaks.

"Interestingly the events are very well run and there isn’t a lot of data suggesting there are super spreader events from the stadiums.

“When you talk to the local testing teams what they find is back in the counties [involved] they begin to see outbreaks because people are going to watch the match in pubs or in people’s houses.”

You’d swear Tyrone hammered Kerry. Smashing win for Tyrone, huge underdogs and definitely the better team on the day. But it was a one point win after extra time, either Kerry can’t have been as bad as you think, or Tyrone can’t have been as good.

It was a game of fine margins.

I thought Tyrone were far the better team in general play, Kerry relied on frees for scores or dead balls. Or bish bash Bosh points that were scored within a few quick touches.

The reason it was so tight was Tyrone struggled badly on kickouts as Kerry utterly dominates that sector. Kerry were far better on winning primary possession but Tyrone were far more efficient and composed with the ball.

Of course it’s narrative written, Kerry could just have easily have won this game. Then again Tyrone could just have easily beaten Kerry in 15 and 19 and people will say the difference was Dooher/Logan as opposed to Harte which is very simplistic when they were games that came down to fine margins.

The context this time though is Tyrone came in here as 6/1 outsiders having barely trained collectively in the past 5 weeks.

That of course is the big thing. That post seems a bit more balanced. You’re right to big up your team it was a smashing win. But Kerry were still close despite so much going wrong for them, or rather, despite them doing so much wrong for themselves.

Kerry looked an incredibly poorly coached team. Stuff like the square ball goal and no idea how to use Tommy Walsh is very basic at that level.

I think Mayo to win the all Ireland is a savage bet at 4/6.

Yes and no.

Kerry could certainly have easily won that game, Paudie Clifford fists a fairly routine effort in injury time and it’s hard to see Tyrone getting an equaliser. They certainly had enough chances but their composure and decision making was poor.

On the other hand if someone told you at the start of the game that Kerry won 100% of their kickouts and around 50% of Tyrone’s kickouts you’d be expecting a massacre, the fact that Tyrone were still deserving winners despite that fact shows you how dominant Tyrone were in the general play. The big thing was Tyrone imposed their game on Kerry but there’s also plenty of room for Tyrone to improve and build on that display. For me they have more scope to move up another level or two from that than Mayo have from their Dublin display.

2 Likes

Game was entirely played on Tyrone’s terms alright, tactical battle was won hands down.

They’re definitely not street smart but I wouldn’t blame an intercounty manager for a fella deciding to pass the ball after rounding the keeper nor a lad waiting for the pass in the square … that’s juvenile stuff …

5 Likes

Tyrone work on their kickouts for Mayo and keep that same intensity then I’d make them favourites, I think they just have a bigger scoring threat across the pitch and off the bench.

It should not be forgotten that Logan and Dooher are still finding out about this side. Between McKenna Cup and League, Tyrone would usually have played 10+ games before Championship arrives, this will be their 9th game of the season. You can see the team is beginning to settle and with more games they should get more accustomed - this is why I had this season as a write off, there were loads of question marks heading into Donegal about what the best team was, then we had an Ulster final with players unavailable due to Covid and then an AI semi-final with hardly any collective sessions prior to the game.

They called up quite a few new players this season but none of them have really being given an opportunity (bar Donaghy) due to the shortened season and impetus on hitting the ground running.

1 Like

Is Peter Canavan helping the two boys in the background? Heard that from two people up north over the weekend. Trying to keep it quiet as he doesn’t want to conflict with his Sky gig.

He was at pains to point out he wouldn’t know what’s going on in-camp on some podcast there recently. Five minutes later he was talking about Darragh maybe getting a run out :face_with_raised_eyebrow: