2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

Tyrone won a few soft titles in a weak era and were humbled by the likes of Laois and Meath. They are the Leyton Hewitt or Rory McIlroy of GAA.

3 Likes

Yes the big boys were particularly weak between 03 and 08 even cork v Kerry in the 09 final.

Are you ok mate? Your forte is normally picking out a ā€˜factā€™ and hammering it for hours even if it wasnā€™t what someone said or meant. In this case however, you have neatly summarised and bold typed the fact that beats your own argument.
Ulster teams won 50% in the ā€˜strongā€™* era.
They then won 25% in your next ā€˜weakā€™ era. And 10 % in a different subsequent ā€˜weakā€™ era.
Ergoā€¦ when the championship was at its strongest was when Ulster teams dominatedā€¦ which was my original point. You continually hold up the noughties as the time when Gaelic football was at itā€™s best. You usually call this as 02-09 for obvious shoulder-chipped reasons.

1 Like

He really wont like that. But itā€™s very true.

Your stupidity is in even keel with your arrogance. I have never stated the 12-20 era was weak, I have stated the contrary but once again Juhy steams in bald headed to make a point and once again Juhy shows us that if he was 10% as smart as he thinks he is, then he might actually be intelligent.

Thank for showing the forum you canā€™t read.

TBF Laois took them in a year when they were in turmoil. It doesnā€™t really count

The Munster lads are reeling here and I havenā€™t even really got stuck into provincial imbalance yet.

Fact 1
Hereā€™s you saying 08-01 was a lot weaker than 02-07.

2 Likes

Fact 2
Hereā€™s me laughing at your set in stone position that the noughts were a golden era, because Ulster was strong then.

2 Likes

Fact 3
Heres you moving the goalposts to try to make my statement into something else. Into your designated argument.

Fact 4

Hereā€™s you inferring that I said 12-20 was a weaker era.

Fact 5, hereā€™s me saying 12-20 was a strong era.

Fact 6.

Hereā€™s me also stating 12-20 was a stronger era.

Thereā€™s some amount of arrogance on this board but youā€™re top of the class when it comes being caught with your pants down but simply unable to take your medicine. If you were 10% as smart as you think you are you might be a threat to consider, youā€™re not though.

Between 03 and 08 there was three finals decided by ten plus points. There hasnā€™t been a final since this period decided by more than 6 points. It was a really poor era for football.

1 Like

Admirable as Mayo have been over the last decade now reaching 10 out of the last 11 semi finals, they have one recurring problem. They really struggle to beat either of the two big heavyweights of the sport, Dublin or Kerry. There has been a few draws thrown in as well, but Mayo have played Dublin and Kerry 14 times in the championship since 2011 and theyā€™ve recorded just a solitary win against both from those 14 meetings. The win over Dublin was in their first meeting in that time period all the way back in 2012.

Certainly in 2016 and 2017, at their peak of the last decade, Mayo were better than Kerry and pretty much the equal of Dublin. As someone else remarked Mayo just had 3 players from 2017 on Sunday. Since 2017, theyā€™ve lost in 2019 to Kerry by 10 points, Dublin by 10 points and by 5 points to Dublin in 2020 final, without ever remotely looking like Mayo could win after the opening Dublin goal inside 15 seconds. Asking a lot for Mayo to most likely have to beat Dublin and Kerry to win the All Ireland this year.

Connacht teams have absolutely appalling records against Kerry and Dublin.

Galway havenā€™t beaten Dublin in a knockout Championship game since 1934 or Kerry in a knockout Championship game since 1965

Mayo have won 2 of 17 games against Dublin and 5 of 28 v Kerry.

Sligo and Leitrim have never beaten either and not sure about Roscommon.

Roscommon have beaten Kerry in the final once, in 1944 and lost to them in the final 3 times.

They have never beaten Dublin at the business end of the Championship, and Iā€™m not even sure if theyā€™ve ever played them, although it seems likely to have happened at least once and theyā€™ve probably played them at some stage in the Qualifiers.

Connacht have always been seen as a soft touch.

It took 105 years of Championship football before an Ulster side registered a win over Dublin - Donegal in the 1992 All Ireland Final.

Dublin and Kerry have 67 All Irelandā€™s between them. Thatā€™s just over half of the 133 played for. Thereā€™s a Big 2 and after that itā€™s scraps for everyone else.

1 Like

Roscommon famously lost the 1946 All Ireland Final to Kerry after being 6 points up with 3 minutes to go. Roscommon captain Jimmy Murray got a smack in the face and had a bloody nose. He was on the sideline and wanted to come back on but the Roscommon official wanted to wipe the blood off his face so heā€™d look right for the presentation of the cup. While this was going on Kerry scored two quick goals and the match went to a replay which Roscommon lost.

6 Likes

This yarn was on Up for the Match presented by Liam O Murchu the night before the 1980 Roscommon Kerry final.