2022 European Championships - Munich

If you’ve got it, flaunt it.

I see they were all wearing earrings and chains and stuff. Surely some #marginalgains to be found in taking them off

Bars have been the downfall for many promising athletes

Some people said that about Wolfie Adams. There’s a reason he has three world titles and they don’t.

1 Like

Especially ones from the wee six.

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce laughs at you

Remember this made yoke

1 Like

Either Gail Devers liked scrawling her forehead with those claws, or more likely had prominent forehead veins due to doping.

Speaking of doping, I just saw that the womens 4x400m record is 3:15 set by the old USSR in the mid 80’s and the European record is 3:16 set by Germany in '86 I think. Must be one of the few records that isn’t even close to being beaten by the evolution of shoes / running styles etc. But it also speaks volumes to how shoddy the drug testing programme must have been in the mid 80’s.

3 Likes

I’d say Marina Koch from GDR might still hold a a European record

Here’s the record, it’s from Seoul. The Soviets held off Flo-Jo to win it, the US team also broke the previous record.

Florence Griffith-Joyner, Jackie-Joyner-Kersee, Valerie Briscoe-Hooks, some names to conjure with.

The women’s 4x100 from that Olympics is worth a watch too. One of the great finishes by Evelyn Ashford of the US to win. Some of those drug fuelled races involving the Soviets and the East Germans are jaw dropping to watch, like some of the mountain performances by Armstrong, Pantani or Riis in the Tour de France. The US were at it too especially Flo-Jo but I think Ashford was clean or definitely a lot cleaner and more naturally talented than Flo-Jo.

2 Likes

They used to get the athletes pregnant couple of months before Olympics and then abort the baby to take advantage of hormone changes and increased red blood cells. Abortion doing. Proper awful stuff.

Holy fuck. Please tell me you made that up.

Common knowledge.

I’ll unfortunately have to class that under Things I Learned Today - that’s horrific

There’s been lots of reports of it.

1 Like

There’s been lots of reports about reports of it you mean. Absolutely zero proof as per that article.
That article would make a great study piece for kids to learn the internet!

Wouldn’t it be common for a mare in foal to run above her form?

1 Like

Many of the athletes complicit in it? Have to have been a few you’d feel.

Mark English and Ciara Mageean both up in next half hour

First semi was a snail pace so great news for English