2022 European Championships - Munich

I’ve no stats to back it up, but those that under perform are usually the home based athletes who get to travel to some of the secondary circuit races around Europe with sparse crowds in tracks in the back end of nowhere. Some of the US college based folks tend to be more accustomed to running in front of bigger crowds and the razzmatazz that comes in big championships as the colleges circuit in the US is mental.

No idea. He was normally a 50km walker but they got rid of that event and merged it with the 20km walk into a 35km walk I think. It might have been his first time doing that distance in a championships as far as I know

1 Like

For those distances you are looking for a cluster of times around the PB to show that they are capable of delivering that time consistently. Sometimes the PB is an outlier and they are in reality a fair way off delivering something close on demand so to speak.

Also look at where a PB was set. Was it one where they were dragged along in fifth or sixth in a very fast race.

Championship running is also different - delays and call rooms etc. like an all Ireland final parade. The occasion can throw a lad but I’d argue the cluster of times is where you need to look to see what they’ll actually run.

3 Likes

Great analysis on BBC about how the best swimmers can hold more water and then use their power and rotational forces.

There’s no hiding place in the Decathlon. The Swiss lad leading it has a discus technique that wouldn’t be out of place in a Community Games finals. The only lad in the field who has never thrown beyond 40 metres

2 Likes

There’s a German lad in the Decathlon about to run the 110m hurdles on his own right now

I see my club mate Eric Favors threw 19.71m yesterday and came 15th when top 12 qualified for the final. He threw 20.42m and 20.50m earlier this season.

My club mate Brian Fay is running tonight. He’s one who’s been putting in impressive displays on the US college circuit so keen to see how he gets on.

Hopefully my club mate Sophie Becker is over her latest bout of Covid. If Healy can rebound from yesterday’s poor run then that 4x400m team should be very competitive.

Bizarre race. Sounds like he was incorrectly DQ’ed in an earlier race for a false start which was then overturned on appeal. The local crowd lapped it up

He has had to overcome a lot of hurdles in this championship

Jazmin Sawyers, Team GB long jump. She can jump on me any day she likes.

O’Donnell just run out of it into 5th so he’s out now as well. About 0.5 seconds below his SB

Rhasidat is up shortly in SF 3 of the 400m
Really hoping we see her perform. She’s going to have to run under 51 seconds to qualify and perhaps beat her NR of 50.70. It’s a huge ask.

Kaczmarek of Poland who won second SF looks the real deal.

2nd heat a bit slower there I think so sub 51 should see her through to final

1 Like

What channel is it on?

BBC2

Be a huge disappointment if she doesn’t come out of this

Her hair is tied up @TheUlteriorMotive - she means fucking business!

1 Like

False start :grimacing:
Not our lady but she’d had a brilliant reaction time

She had the best reaction time of those that didn’t move early :clap:

1 Like

Third. Tied up a bit but should be a fastest loser ?